Saturday, July 25, 2009

Tell you all about a scene that you would kill for

I have secured a gig buddy to Dananananaykroyd on Wednesday which should be lots of fun. Glaswegian bands FTW! I'm also considering taking Saturday off work so I can spend Friday night indulging in some A-grade partying for Ms. R's birthday. Even though she's given it a ridiculous dress code that means I can't wear any black (or white or grey) thereby effectively eliminating 99% of my wardrobe choices. Shopping around for a red dress now. A red dress could no doubt come in handy in many situations.

For the record, I still haven't slept properly. Evidenced by the moaning on twitter at 2am. I have however finished Turn Coat, which I really enjoyed. Appreciation of series defintiely renewed.

Came across a quote this evening:

You’ve got to be merciless. People will say ‘You love your characters’. But nobody loves their characters that much. If you really write, and you love them, you are the God of them and you can kill them with the click of a finger. It’s joyous to do so.

I don't think I could ever take this approach to my characters. Does this make me a bad writer? I mean, I can't imagine just killing them off for the fun of it. Hell, it's not like setting your Sims on fire, just to witness the chaos that ensues (and the few times I have set my Sims on fire, I never saved the game, so it was never a lasting thing, more of a what if - an AU! Yes.) The thought of killing off one of my characters is really quite disturbing. I've only really had one character death and that was technically Abbi's, and which was part of character development for one of my characters. That was hard enough. So even if I had to off one for the sake of a story, I can promise you there would be no joy in it. So yeah, I do actually love my characters that much.

I wonder if JK Rowling had this sort of approach to her character deaths? I mean at the end there, they were sort of dropping like flies. I wonder if they were difficult choices or was she just so over it, so detacthed, that by that point it didn't matter? I suppose some characters are merely created to die eventually. Maybe that's a little callous. I really care about my characters, but maybe I care too much. I never thought that was really problem, but maybe I'm just not there yet. I don't know. I suppose I just can't imagine that any character death would come easily, or joyfully. I mean my honours piece is centred around a death, but it's not really a character that comes into play as much as a shadow lurking in the protagonist's mind. It's meant to hurt her. I can't say I take any pleasure from it.

Music: Tigerlily - La Roux
Mood: Frustrated
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I hate my characters' deaths. I know they're going to happen, and genuinely dread them from the time I realise it's just gotta happen. Life in head = too close to real life! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost didn't kill Anthony. I almost sacrificed the whole of Amped to keep him alive. I'm still mourning him and it's over a year ago...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two completely prove my point. After all, if you can kill your characters so easily, taking joy in it, doesn't that sort of imply that you don't really care for your characters at all? How can you write believable characters when you don't care? Bah, this position to writing frustrates me...

    ReplyDelete