Sunday, July 19, 2009

I worried and stalled every night of my life

I saw tail lights last night in a dream about my first wife
Everybody leaves and I'd expect the same from you

Apparantly my father is considering getting a small car instead of a new motorbike since mum no longer trusts him not to, you know, die. In all fairness, it's easier to recover from something like this when you're young, he has enough aches and pains normally as it is without adding all this to the list. I suggested he get a nice little second hand car like mine. Yesterday he shows up with dealer pamphlets for new cars *facepalm* It apparantly won't just be his car, but one any of us can drive. So if, for example, my friends and I want to go on a road trip, I'd take this car instead of Jack. But we'll see what comes of it.

My parents don't tell me anything, I swear. Yesterday when I got home from work and they were gallivanting about looking at aforementioned cars, a family friend of ours shows up at the door. This leaves me perplexed (and half dressed since I wanted to have a shower before heading out) and her confused since she thought she was supposed to come over for dinner/watch the rugby and there I am staring at her blankly. I assured her she was no do bout right, I just have no idea what's going on. Anyway, my parents did eventually turn up to entertain the guests I had no idea were coming. Thanks guys *rolls eyes* I spent about half an hour showing her daughter my books. She ended up borrowing one of my Nancy Drew ones. It makes me strangely happy - I was her age when I first started reading Nancy Drew books myself.

Anywho, headed out to Penrith for a lovely dinner with Lizzie, followed by Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I have no idea how anyone who hasn't read the book knows what's going on. (Then again it probably serves them right, read the books! What's wrong with you?) Considering how played down it was, I can't imagine anyone really caring about Snape's proclamation of "I am the half-blood Prince!" It's more of a "yeah, so?" thing. Similarly, the symbolism of the phoenix at the end is also easily missed.

That said, it was very amusing. The humour and dynamic between the trio is really played upon and it makes it utterly charming. Ah, the awkward teenage moments! The Dumbledore scene in the cave was exactly like I always visualised it. Helena Bonham Carter really embodies her role as Bellatrix, she's one of the most memorable of the lot. I'm slightly perplexed as to why they felt the need to include the random fight scene at the Weasley place and then skip over the fight that occurs at the end - it begs the question why Draco wanted to get the Death Eaters into Hogwarts in the first place. But whatever. It's hard to expect much of these films seeing as they have so much ground to cover, but this one at least had charm to make up for its adaption. All in all, I enjoyed it.

Lizzie and I may have some problems though, we are unable to watch anything without bringing a bazillion outside jokes to the table. That's why half the time we will be laughing hysterically when no one else is. Cue many Doctor Who jokes, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars references, and a healthy dose of subtext. I still insist that Draco is clearly the bastard son of the Phantom of the Opera, just in Armani (I think Voldemort has some sort of deal with them.)

Photobucket
You will curse the day you did not do all that the Phantom asked of you!

So yes, that was pretty much my weekend. Today was spent doing fascinating tasks such as drive home and go grocery shopping. The fun and excitement, will it never cease?

Best reference of the day was found in Wil Anderson's Sunday column: "Sometimes I end up so lost in the mall, I half expect David Bowie to jump out and sing Dance Magic Dance!"

Best tweet of the week goes to Mark Hoppus who wanted to name a restaurant Om nom nom's. Mikey Way made things even funnier by responding with "What about Om Nom's nom nom's?" I probably shouldn't have found that as funny as I did.

Finally, best random quote goes to Gareth David Lloyd, "I'd like to go to space next, get my astronaut training...Ianto in space - inner depths in outerspace." Again, I should probably not have found that as funny as I did.

Now, to a warm shower and a warm bed...

I saw tail lights last night in a dream about my old life.
Everybody leaves, so why, why wouldn't you?

Music: Great Expectations - The Gaslight Anthem
Mood: Sleepy
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love that you write really long posts! Makes a blog worth being a blog haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a master at the fine art of rambling, what can I say. I actually get rather annoyed with myself lol

    ReplyDelete