Sunday, July 5, 2009

Russian Roulette isn't the same without a gun

It's kind of funny that when I saw this -
Photobucket
- the first thing I thought was 'WHY is Shane Warne mentioned on the cover?' I thought he was retired. Why does anyone still care? That's one of the things that annoy me the most about sport, you always get these has-beens randomly popping up and giving their two cents worth on any major event. They always know better too. Look, you had your chance, no go away and leave other people to it. However, I'm glad he's annoying people over there instead of embroiling himself in another scandal of some sort over here. Please, keep him.

Anywho, today I headed out to Penrith to see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen [or ROTFL as the internet geeks have dubbed it] with Lizzie. I had extremely low expectations of the movie seeing as the various previews had done absolutely nothing for me, so I had a good time anyway. It's easy when you don't expect anything. It has barely any plot, suffers from extreme logic!fail, and is overly long. There's only so many times I can watch slow motion robots hit each other before I stop caring. It does have some funny moments though. Especially if you just keep making little Star Wars jokes under your breath - "You have been well trained, my young apprentice" and "It is your desssstiny". Lots of running and exploding as predicted, but the effects are really well done, so if you don't mind the fact that it has absolutely zero originality, it's fine. The voice-overs drive me mad though, they're just so pointless, not to mention lame. I was kind of hoping Optimus would fall off the aircraft carrier at the end there so the impressive frame shot and narration would be ruined...sort of like "Human and autobot toge-waaah *splash*" That's what comes from standing around pontificating.

I forgot that Josh Duhamel was in this and I must say his character was really the one that held my interest. Which is weird because he's a fairly minor, underdeveloped character, but I was way more invested in his comings and goings than someone like say, the ex secret service guy (who played Adrian Monk's slightly mental brother in the tv show Monk a couple of times) or Sam's college roommate (just, please, why? Ugh.) I don't think it has anything to do with Josh being cute. Vain, who's vain? Don't get me started on the twin autobots, yeah guys, that stopped being funny after the first five minutes. Same with Sam's parents, did that really serve much of a purpose? If they cut that arc from the plot, we could have saved at least half an hour.

Then there's poor Starscream who is in such an abusive relationship with Megatron. You don't have to take it Starscream, you are a decepticon in your own right. Stand up for yourself. I quite like Starscream, when he's in plane form. Otherwise he's very ugly and annoying. But as a jet, he's quite awesome. I do have a bit of a fixation on fighter jets though, which in a way was another redeeming feature for ROTFL, lots of air time. You know, in general, this movie makes the military look really good. I wonder if there's some sublminal message about joining the Marines in there somewhere, like in The Simpsons *gigglesnort*

What I want to know is what happened to that little decepticon thingy Mikaela caught, he just suddenly disappeared. I actually sorta liked him...it...whatever. Still, since I had no expectations of it, I wasn't disappointed and could merely sit back and watch the "running! exploding! running! exploding! plot hole! exploding!" I doubt I'll see it again though. It looks like it's going to be the highest grossing film of the season. Considering how much I adored Star Trek, it's utter sacrilege in my mind. But hey, the masses speak.

Photobucket
"We're on your planet, destroying your ancient monuments."

Oh, one last thing, I cannot for one possible minute believe that anyone would even think about cheating on someone like Megan Fox with someone like Isabelle Lucas. Just, no.
Photobucket
She looks like an evil robot if you ask me.

While on the subject of movies, cannot wait to see the new Harry Potter, it looks so good and I haven't been excited about a Potter movie since they ruined 'Prisoner of Azkaban' - I will never forgive them for utterly miscasting everyone. Malfoy gets lots of action before his character is essentially wasted, and Snape gets to be set up, I really hope they do it right. Also, Public Enemies is another one I'm keen on. How can a movie with Johnny Depp and Christain Bale be anything but amazing? Everytime I see the poster I have to resist the urge to steal it.
Photobucket

My parents have been fanparenting (coined by Abbi as she is clearly brilliant) all weekend. They have this 4WD Avdenture show thing they started watching the last time we were in South Africa, and since then they've become utterly obsessed with it. The latest season arrived on Friday, and so they've been camped out on the couch since last night watching it. I have to refrain from making snarky comments since I, of all people, am in no position to judge anyone else's fandom, no matter how odd or completely boring it may seem to me. But see where I get it from? I never stood a chance.

Now people, as we're on the topic, tomorrow marks the start of what I have dubbed Torchweek. I'm fairly certain I am going to spend most of it in some sort of deranged state of anticipation and apprehension, which will no doubt be leaving me feeling vaguely sick at the end of the week. So, I must apologise in advance for the psychotic fangirl that will be in control of my brain. Remember that I cannot be held responsible for any of my actions once things have returned to normal, or rather what passes for it. Underneath all this *indicates to self* there is an intelligent human being, I promise. So yes. You have been adequately informed. *deep breath* SQUEE! I'm so excited. Lining up to get the next Harry Potter book type of excited. It's a lot like that in general actually, the excitement is similarly tinged with the gloom of it all being over and then having nothing to go on anymore. The aftermath is always the worst. But I'll worry about that later. For now, squee!

P.S. Does the start of Pokerface remind anyone else of that Boney M song 'Ma Baker' or is it just me?

Music: Pokerface - Lady GaGa
Mood: Restless
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. It totally does sound like Ma Baker! I also insist on singing "poke her face"...

    ReplyDelete