Wednesday, July 8, 2009

If you've got money you get in for free

Is it wrong that I often judge movies on their soundtracks? Sometimes when deciding whether I want to watch something or not, I’ll factor the soundtrack in as well. This is especially true with indie movies as sometimes they can be a bit pointless obscure. That said 500 Days of Summer starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel, has a completely poptastic soundtrack - Regina Spektor, The Smiths, Doves, Hall & Oates, The Temper Trap, Feist, and even Wolfmother. It sounds like one of those “one that got away” movies, but quirky and filled with enough obscure references that’s right up our collective indie alley. Using a narrative framework on a 500 days calendar, it flips through the relationship showing its development in a rather non-linear way. So overall, it should be interesting. Here’s the short trailer.

Another movie that’s caught my interest is Jennifer’s Body starring Megan Fox and written by Diablo Cody (aka that chick who wrote Juno). I’m not usually one for horror films but this sounds completely mad – a girl is possessed by a demon which is somehow linked to a satan-worshipping emo band. The band’s frontman is played by Adam Brody, which we all knew was going to happen one day. It’s got a predictable soundtrack which makes me smile – Panic At The Disco (who have split firmly in two btw. First the exclamation point, now this! Brendon without Ryan, how will it ever work out? I bet it was because of the bubble machine), All Time Low, White Lies, Dashboard Confessional, Cobra Starship, Silversun Pickups and Little Boots. Trailer be here.

Then there’s District 9. I saw a trailer for this waiting for Transformers: ROTFL on Sunday and immediately thought it was going to be one of those uber depressing South African movies about apartheid or illegal immigrants or something, and was already rolling my eyes. Turns out that yes, while there will no doubt be strong apartheid undertones, it’s actually about aliens! Which to me is so bizarre, cause you know, its set in SA (well I’m assuming so judging by the names of the characters and the accents). So anyway, the way I understand it aliens have come to earth and are segregated to this area called District 9 (no doubt meant to recall district six) and all the moral and political ramifications that come from something like that. It’s actually quite an ingenious way of tackling a subject that’s been done ad nauseam. Peter Jackson’s producing. You can see the trailer here.

Meanwhile, dad blew a tire so he had to await my homecoming to drag me off to the bike shop. This gorgeous piece of machinery was parked outside and I had to resist the urge to lick it.
Photobucket

Which reminds me, that bike Jack steals in Asylum - he must've used his vortex manipulator, right? So why when the other girl drives off with it does he say he left the keys in the bike? You don't have keys remember, you "commandeered" it. Plot hole! The thing that bugs me most about that is that I can't see the bike and I have to know whether it has fairings or not. This is vital to my appreciation. For the record, it was a Yamaha FZ6. Normally, it just looks like this,
Photobucket

Which is yeah, ok. But give it fairings and proper body work,
Photobucket
It looks lethal! I choose the believe it's the latter. It's so much more Torchwood. I don't care if they just stole it.

I'm sorry, but if you're buying a proper bike, it has to have fairings. It looks so much cooler. This is an argument I have with my father all the time, and which I continue to lose. It's why we have this, instead of something like this. I'm not going to try and make this a technical debate, it's just 100% about aesthetics. Well, and speed of course. I like a bike (or car) to look streamlined. So, if I'm ever to write something featuring a motorbike, it's going to be fast and pretty and impractical. My current favourites -
> Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, which granted is an extremely funny looking bike but I've seen it look very stealth and it's a look I can appreciate. Besides, it's very unique. I can get used to that.
> Ducati 848
> Ducati 998 which is the one I saw today. I've always had a soft spot for this bike - it's the same type Trinity rides to death in the second Matrix movie.
> BMW S1000RR, which isn't out yet and I have no idea what the specs are, but I love the way it looks. It's bad-ass.
> I quite like the Aprilla RS-125 too. I actually think that's the bike Mikaela rides in Transformers, ironically enough. I didn’t really notice anything other than it was red, but it seems to be the best bet looking at the promo shots I’ve been able to dredge up (it must be noted, I didn't look very hard).

These wouldn't have been good choices for Asylum cause I doubt you'd find them just standing around the city, and they aren't really meant for carrying passengers. Sorry for the random rev-head ramble, I've been going over this in my head since it first came up in the radio play and seeing the bikes today just made it all the more prominent.

My wisdom teeth are making their presence felt and it is not much fun. Add that it's raining, I'm freezing, and my lungs are aching to the equation and I'd usually be ready to crawl under my desk, refusing to ever come out again. But it's Torchweek and there's fangilring to be done, I can feel sorry for myself later! Priorities people!

Six and a half hours to go...I'm quite excited since everything I was sort of spoiled for happened in the first episode anyway, so I'm essentially going in blind. Huzzah!

[Just as a random observation - yet again Ianto gets to stand on the invisible lift and leave his lover to supposedly die in a horrific way. That's gotta be psychologically damaging...]

Music: The city is at war - Cobra Starship
Mood: Sore
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment