Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Painting faces, building places I can't reach

You know what grates me? When I'm reading something on a music blog or on the AP forums or such and there are comments like "If you were a real fan, you wouldn't say that" or "I miss the old days when there were real fans", blah blah. Hmm really. Shut the hell up. "Real fans" don't run around telling other people they're "real fans" and how much others suck. Oh no, they just suffer in silence dutifully picking up all the slack around the edges. I sincerely doubt your claim to "real" fandom.

Grumble.

I spent the entire morning messaging Lizzie while catching up on music gossip. Three cheers for Jasper! I might have died from boredom otherwise. I don't know how we can go from being so busy one day to barely seeing anyone the next. Human beings are anything but consistent. Much like the weather.

I feel like a wind up toy walking into a brick wall. Having to do something but getting nowhere.

In other news, I am being stalked by the Lone Ranger. Ever since I came across an article that stated Johnny Depp has been cast as Tonto in the remake, I've been seeing it everywhere. My mum and I regularly have a discussion regarding this casting and the Lone Ranger in general, since I find the whole set-up extremely dubious (why does he wear a mask, honestly, it's bizarre). There was even a reference to the Lone Ranger in Torchwood. Then while looking through my travel book, there was a blurb on it...and I read another article this morning that randomly mentioned it. It's so strange how you can go for a long time never hearing about something and then suddenly, it's everywhere. Popular Culture. It's a mystery.


I'm currently supposed to be a) purchasing gifts for Em, b) tracking down a Halloween costume, c) buying study book for woman at mum's work, d) getting new present for Roze. I have decided to do none of these things. Oh well.

I have to workshop tomorrow. UGH. I'm trying not to thing about it lest I have a nervous breakdown. I hate the thought of actual professionals reading my script. The only thing I've gotten out of this subject is the realisation that scriptwriting probably isn't my thing. As always, I'm also doubting the quality of my work and thus fearing rejection, as I consider the quality to be both lacking and the subject matter irrelevant and juvenile. Self doubt is my oldest friend.

Listening to my iPod yesterday, I realised there are so many songs I love that I completely forget about until I hear them again. "Resounding" by Say Anything, for example. Now it is true that pretty anything that band does is amazing, but there is something about 'Resounding' that particularly resonates with me. It's a bit sad, a bit sweet, and utterly loveable. Even though it is off the 'Baseball' album that Max pretty much disowned. Another one of these songs is "I'm a heart Watson, the rest of me is mere appendix" by Forgive Durden. In typical FD style, the title plays on a quote from Sherlock Holmes, with the original having 'brain' in place of 'heart'. I can forgive Thomas anything because everything is just so epic, symbolic, complicated and intertextual. I love nicely done intertextuality. Plus the boy is clearly well read. I just think this song is utterly beautiful. Couldn't tell you why though, but if I remember my Music and Popular Culture class correctly, that's the way it's supposed to be. Adequately describing art and such is notoriously difficult. There's an excellent quote in Nick Hornby's 31 Songs about that very thing, but I can't be bothered finding the book right now to look it up. It's in the Aimee Mann chapter though. Good stuff.

I really should stop rambling though.

Music: Use Somebody - Kings of Leon
Mood: Bored
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. DUDE - I totally just had the image of a person in a Lone Ranger outfit stalking you; doing that cheesy "sneaky walk" behind you and diving behind a rubbish bin whenever you turn around.

    Now what does that remind me of???
    Oh yes - us! Sans Lone Ranger costume of course.

    ReplyDelete