Friday, October 24, 2008

Every mountain scaled for you

I have done nothing.

Nothing.

There are only two words adequate for this situation. You guessed it. Epic. Fail.

Although technically I haven't done nothing, I re-arranged my flair board on Facebook. That is something, meagre and pathetic, but something.

I have however not done any uni work, and again failed to acquire a Halloween outfit.

But hey, the surgery is closed tomorrow so I figured I can write my piece for novel writing then...I have to have it by Monday so Ally can do her review of it...and I have to do hers. I completely forgot about that assignment. I hate the sneaky ones that you forget about then suddenly, bam, you have actual work to do. It's outrageous.

Hm. Children's writing is done. Just going to hand in the first chapter. That's been done since the second week of uni. I have the whole story neatly planned out in my head so I can explain it for workshopping too. So that's really not a problem.

Which leaves Screenwriting. Woe. I should have written the vampire script. Grumble. I kinda wish I hadn't taken Screenwriting this semester. I was so excited because of the whole Amped thing, and in general I've always had a bit of a soft spot for scripts. But all I've come to conclude from this class is that Screenwriting really isn't my thing. It's too repetitive, pedantic, structured and annoying. It's a form in which everything has been made as difficult as it can possibly be. Writing comes naturally to me, when I'm in that space, I just write without thinking, it doesn't even feel like a cognitive process...but with scripts, I don't know. Now that I know the theory and rules and regulations, I can't simply distill the writing into script form like I was doing before. I'm sitting there, thinking, oh shit, I write this now but it's going to have to be rewritten a thousand times, condensed and expanded into pitches and treatments, blah blah blah. It's no wonder it takes people so long to write scripts. I feel like Frodo having to set off and destroy the ring. I don't like it. It's hard; it feels like work; and I don't want to do it anymore. And that sucks, because what am I meant to do with Amped? We've created this whole universe, and I love those characters like they're real people and I want to do something with them, but I cannot get my mind back into the right frame to write these scripts. I'm thinking maybe it should be redone in novella form. A series of books. Older teen audience maybe, same one as the tv show would have been marketed at. Or maybe I just need time to get over the academia inspired horror. Guess we'll see.

So anyway, obsession of the week. There be two! First up, 'Sex on fire' by the Kings of Leon. This song is some sort of orally transmitted disease. It gets in your head and rots there. Pleasant. I know a lot of people can't stand it, but I'm really quite fond of it. In fact, I'm quite fond of the whole new album. I can listen to it continually without even caring. This is a first since my tolerance of KOL is fairly limited (and I'm sorry, but Caleb looks mentally unstable with short hair). It's a lot more accessible than some of their older stuff...and I guess that's why many hardcore fans aren't to keen on it. In fact, I think 'Only by the night' is sexy. Can't tell you why, but hey, what else is new.

Photobucket

My other obsession is Ianto Jones, Torchwood character. Oh, how I have angsted over poor Ianto this week. He's this adorable, sarcastic, awkward guy with some emo moments, and he can be really funny...and I just want to hug him. I want him to be loved and to be happy because he deserves it, and yet at the same time there's a little voice in the back of my head that says it's never going to happen. As Lizzie said, he's probably going to die a horrible, horrible death. And you know what, it's going to break my heart. He's my favourite (other than Jack, but that is unavoidable thanks to the 51st century pheromones and all). I think part of it is just being able to relate to him because hell, I'm a sarcastic, awkward receptionist with emo moments too...and I'm constantly appearing at the desk from where I was lurking in the back room or making coffee or getting people organised *shrugs*. Oh and I love how he constantly verges on homicidal rampages whenever Jack is caught or trapped or whatever. The stupid boy would probably take a bullet for him and how counter-productive would that be. I just think he's adorable. End of story. And the moral of this said story is simple, and one we all know, I become far too emotionally invested in fictional creations. But reality is yet to provide me with anything even vaguely as entertaining.

Photobucket

Prove me wrong reality, prove me wrong.

Although, I have to point out, my obsessing isn't really that fangirly. I mean I've read things and seen things posted by real fangirls, and really, I can't compete with that. We manage to remain functioning normally 99% of the time...the only exception might be that time Lizzie and I dived behind the stuffed toy rack when we ran into Mikey Way...but I blame that on shock and sleep deprivation...ah good times.

Random quote for the day : I think I just invented the banana daiquiri a couple of centuries early. Do you know they'd never seen a banana before? Always take a banana to a party, Rose, bananas are good.

Music: Resounding - Say Anything
Mood: Listless
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment