Sunday, February 1, 2009

Better shut your mouth and hold your breath

From today's paper : “Young Australians are using our national day and the flag of our country as a rallying point for racist, regressive and drunken ranting.” It’s so disgustingly true. I cannot believe that in today’s day and age young people could display such narrow-minded, bigoted behaviour. It’s part of the reason I find it really hard to be patriotic…as Lizzie said “I would be more patriotic if patriotism was not a synonym for bogan in this country.”

Something else that annoys me, because I am clearly an obsessive fucking nutter, is when people deny ever loving something. I have had many, many obsessions which have fizzled out or merely fallen dormant as others have come along, but I will never deny having been obsessed with something in the first place. Westlife. See? Not denying it. I was nine. It made perfect sense. Oh, and take My Chemical Romance for example, while the boys still (and always will) own a piece of my soul, it’s not nearly the same level as it used to be, it’s settled into a complacency and I just don’t channel that same vibe anymore. I won’t deny that I was mad about it before though. I’ve been getting this a lot with the Twilight books atm, people who were trying to get me into it originally are now scoffing and saying they didn’t even really like it that much. That’s not what you were saying two years ago when you were almost beating me over the head with it and then swooning because it was oh so wonderful, and romantic, and isn’t it just the most divine little vampire you ever did see? The hype is mad now yes, but don’t turn around and act like you never thought it was that great, ‘cause there was a time when you did. I know because you told me so...repeatedly. Although I am of the school of obligated obsession, where I feel I owe it to my obsessions to actually do certain things, even if I may not be obsessing over it anymore…I always maintain some kernel of (perhaps misplaced) loyalty.

Facebook status’ aside, what’s new? Nothing? Nothing. Planning a trip to Melbourne for the end of March since all the signposts of sanity point firmly away from mad cross-continental weekend dashes. Oh, maybe New Zealand? Will see.

Two nights have been spent well past 2am. I’ll sleep when I’m dead.

Reached conclusion I was wrong about the entire universe having Twitter, not one single person I know (cept fellow bloggers) have it. Further proof that I occupy a different universe entirely from my peers. As I was saying to mum yesterday while paging through a Cosmo in line at the supermarket while she tried to convince me not to buy it (for the record, I didn’t), I need to read magazines like this so I know what the normal people are doing. I live in a bubble.

We were being right tools in the supermarkets actually, come to think of it. She kept saying we needed to buy rump steak, and I kept saying “Why do we need to buy rum? Is the rum gone? Why is the rum always gone?”…then when they didn’t have any rump, we got porterhouse instead, which then led to me nattering on about not wanting port. We may also have stood in the biscuit aisle arguing over the merits of the crime scene cookie. We also tend to push and shove each other quite a lot. I also read aloud from the aforementioned Cosmo from 'conversations every daughter should have with her mother' or something like that except I was answering all the questions for her anyway, since I knew them all. Let it just be said we earn more than a few weird looks.

Again I’d like to point out people really shouldn’t be so surprised that I turned out the way I did.

It is February. Shit. I am starting Chapter 4 of Soliloquy now.

I have another pseudo-rant but I figure I’ll just bottle that one up for now.

Further updates as events [aka boredom and restlessness] warrant.

Music: My Skin - Natalie Merchant
Mood: Lethargic
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. "Further proof that I occupy a different universe entirely from my peers."
    Damn straight my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably one of the defining aspects of my existence. Sometimes I think I should worry about it more, but eh, I'm happy in my bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude... trust most of the time no one has any idea what I'm on about. I likes it like that.

    ReplyDelete