Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's the work that we avoid

Uuuuugh. I forgot how much I disliked cultural studies. I mostly focused on the writing subjects in my undergrad degree (I think I did every single one really) so other than some compulsory culture elements, I avoided it as much as I could. Today we had to name theorists we had read and I hit a major mental blank. I have read some. Just off the top of my head, I can't really launch into intelligent discussion about it. However, should you feel the need to discuss narrative structure or techniques, from Gabriel Garcia Marquez to Dickens, or discuss Tolstoy or Chekov, or if you want to draw parallels between Anna Karenina and Wuthering Heights, I'm good for that!

Sigh. I really need to study up on my theory.

I started my "let's read unconventional narratives" drive today, so I'm reading Cosmopolis by Don DeLillo...I actually wanted White Noise but couldn't get hold of it. But whatever, start somewhere.

I watched Army of Ghosts/Doomsday last night. "The may shoot me dead but the moral high ground is mine." That Yvonne Hartman is a bit mad. The looney part of my brain (which is dominant) always enjoys disecting the Torchwood randomness. Like that bit where she's talking about the giant hand clamp things, and she says they found them in a spaceship buried at the base of Mount Snowdon. Which is in Wales. Surely, that's Torchwood Three's responsibility, or jurisdiction, or whatever? I realise One and Three weren't really on the best terms after Jack took over, but even more so, one would think there'd be clear territories so to speak. Just what exactly where Three doing while all this was going on anyway? Since I'm on the topic, what is with the "Great Cobalt Pyramid" being built on "the ruins of the famous Old Earth Torchwood"? Oh yay. A pyramid. Things like that just depress me. You know, really it's best just not to think of these things.

So, moving on.

I'm getting my hair done tomorrow! I'm thinking of a change. Nothing major, mostly to do with the fringe, but still. Something different!

I have over 14,000 songs at my disposal and I could not find a single thing I wanted to listen to during the commute today. In the end I setteld for this playlist called 'Torchwood', although I'm not quite sure I know what I was getting at. It contains the following:
* Words, hands, hearts - Yellowcard
* Just say you're not that into it - Mayday Parade
* Doomsday and the Echo - Lovedrug
* Do you wanna - The Kooks
* Dismantle. Repair - Anberlin
* Don't let me die still wondering - Flogging Molly
* I promise you walls - Shiny Toy Guns
* You must be willing - Against Me!
* Stockholm Syndrome - Muse
* Take Care - A Change Of Pace
* The long way home - The Material
* I don't believe you - The Magnetic Fields
* Goreki - Lamb
* Almost lover - A Fine Frenzy
* La Cienega just smiled - Ryan Adams
* This is for keeps - The Spill Canvas

I don't even know.

No matter how much I try to ramble, I just can't escape how much work I have to do. I really want to get it all out of the way before Sunday so I can hang with Lizzie. I feel like I haven't seen her in ages, and we're going to the Star Wars exhibition so nerding out is unavoidable. So yes, better start reading and researching I guess.

Serious chocolate craving...

P.S. What are U2 doing now? *shakes head*

Music: Takin' care of business - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Mood: Recumbent
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment