Sunday, February 15, 2009

Trouble falls in my home

So I’m sitting here in a vague sleep deprived haze (went to bed at 4.30, up again at 8) in flickering candle light sipping a glass of wine, channelling my inner Mat Devine and thinking I’m really quite difficult. I’m lucky to have the friends I have, they put up with a lot and sometimes I think I don’t thank them nearly enough. I love them all. That said, and in typical me fashion, I actually want nothing to do with anyone right now. I'm so over it all. The melancholy has truly set in today, lack of sleep and overwhelming nostalgia paired with indie music is not that great for peace of mind. I’ve been clearing out some drawers (and still have at least two to go, blah, I have too much crap) and there’s all this stuff from when I was younger. Sometimes I don’t even know how I got to where I am. I’ve been everything to everyone from the punk rocker to the uber chic girly one to the corporate yuppie. It’s just a tiny bit schizophrenic. I’m definitely not the same person I was at 16. Sure, some parts of me are essentially the same, but superficially I can’t even relate to that girl anymore. It feels completely foreign, like something I can’t even really remember. Half my life seems like a dream someone else participated in.

In the cleaning process, I found this letter I wrote to a guy who was one of my best friends in SA. I wrote it at the start of year 12 and it’s one of those letters that's never meant to be sent. It kind of breaks my heart a little. I’m always caught off guard and overwhelmed by how much I just miss him some days. I’d give anything to know if he’s even thought of me, let alone missed me, these past years. It’s strange you know, considering how little I relate to my past, how I still seek this connection.

I also found all these documents and letters I wrote for my ex-friend who was school captain. It grates me to think how much work I did, how good I made her look, and for what? I shouldn’t have bothered. Retrospect…good for nothing really.

Other than that, I'm merely pontificating over short-term future plans. Trips overseas and all that. Roze and a bunch of her friends are considering heading to Scotland for Hogmanay and I’ve been invited along, should it go ahead. It merits serious consideration. I could do a hop from San Fran to New York to the UK. Options are endless really, that’s half the problem. Also wondering if I should do my Masters at UTS or look at other unis. It’s just easier to stick to what I know and I’ve never really had any issues with UTS once I got used to it. I suppose it’s not really traditional tertiary education, but sometimes I feel it seems a lot more hands on. Ah well. We’ll see.

I’ve rented a bunch of DVDs to watch this week since I couldn’t find the one I wanted to buy. It was only $9 for all seven so I feel it’s not a bad deal.

On that note, I’ve got half a bottle of wine still at my disposal and I am going to make the most of this while watching De-Lovely.

My light really is too slight to hold back all my dark.

Phrase of the day: "Are these stalker cookies?"

Music: The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts - Sufjan Stevens
Mood: Gloomy
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Oh Jeanette, you prawn! You're the most amazing friend ever... even when you're being maudlin (god I love that word). I *loves* you just the way you is! SMOOOOOOOOOCH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love the new layout.
    Oh, and hey, even though I don't really know you, not very well and for not very long, I think you're pretty awesome.
    If you can convince someone of that just by some stray text from your brain, you must be alright, if not straight out fantastic.

    American Gods is something you must, must read. I finished it when it was the depths of winter last year and while I was reading the last chapter I nearly froze to death at my bus stop. You'll understand the significance of that when you actually read the novel, but you know it's a nice story...being frost bitten, clutching at a hunk of a book, shaking and swearing and yet getting that joy and completeness you get from finally finshing a book.

    I suspect I shall implode when I finish Gormenghast.
    Much love *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maudlin! Haha see! It catches like wild fire!
    Thanks for the cheer squad Abs, as always.

    Dude, you're pretty awesome yourself :) The joys of the internet means we can make such statements and mean them, even if significantly little time has passed. Oh, and I've heard good things about that book, just never seem to get around to reading it. Top priority atm tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and hey, thanks for the props on the layout :D

    ReplyDelete