Thursday, January 29, 2009

The words she knows, the tune she hums

Part of the reason I enjoy reading autobiographies/non-fiction is the random information you pick up – for example, did you know that Nazi uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss? Then again, you pick up random information in fiction too...so I guess it isn't very relevant. Oh well.

I’ve had an interesting two days. When I haven’t been sprawled on the couch with a book/dvd, of course. After work on Tuesday I decided to finally drag my lazy self in to the city to get these damn tickets at the Opera House. I was partly inspired by the fact that it was overcast and not nearly as hot as it’s been the rest of the time. It was humid though but I decided to completely ignore this just so I could wear my new jacket. Glee. Anyway, walking to the Opera House is always a massive chore for me. Mostly because there are always thousands of people inbetween the station and my destination. When I did however get there, with relatively little fanfare, one guy decided to videotape me walking up the stairs to the box office. I do not know why, but it was just a little bit creepy. I then had to wait around as many tourists tried to get tickets to a show, any show. When I finally got a chance I felt a bit like Krusty in that Lisa Lionheart episode of The Simpsons cause I was done a matter of minutes – “Learn from a professional, kid”. I spent the rest of the afternoon in a disappointed haze since I couldn’t find a book, a dvd, or a cd I wanted. I did however try on that leather jacket at Sportsgirl – ew, ok, just ew. Don’t even go there. That one is definitely struck from the list. Oh but I did catch a glimpse of Travis while grumbling about Borders' dvd/cd collection. You should see the boy, he’s gone nerd to the extreme. The hair’s all short and he’s got glasses and…sigh. You wouldn’t even recognise him if it wasn’t for the tattoos. I still think he’s absolutely gorgeous though. The rest of the afternoon passed as I waited for mum to finish work and got her old boss to teach me Welsh (he’s orginally from Swansea). It such a bizarre little language. I also may have gotten into an agurment with the IT boys about why Batman is so much cooler than Spider-man, and I earned the comment “you sound like the Big Bang Theory!” I take it as a compliment. I have embraced my inner nerdom. What’s the point of denying it?

Oh and as if to prove the point, I spent the entire night indulging the Whoniverse with my mum. ‘The Christmas Invasion’ was on ABC and I told her we were going to watch it – she didn’t object. I explained the back story and then made sure she wasn’t going anywhere by making tea and such, not that she even tried to escape. I think she liked it, especially the Lion King bit haha. I followed this by flipping to UKTV where they were showing the last episode of Torchwood Season 1 and she watched that too [Season 2 starts next week, watch it! Even if it’s just ‘Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang’ – James Marsters is fantastic]. Although at one point she was a bit confused, “I’ve seen this before!” and I was like nooo, you’ve probably seen me watching it before and caught glimpses of it. My mother also thinks Gwen is a bit of an idiot and that Owen is a tool. Although there was this one moment at the start where she confused Ianto for Owen and I nearly died from the indignity. After all, she’s watched Torchwood before, she should know better! Then of course, since Tuesdays is Who night on UKTV, I flipped to the +2 channel and watched the episode that was on while the Christmas special aired…which is the second part of the Slitheen set from Season 1. Mum sat through this too, though she did exclaim over how much of this stuff was actually on. I told her I could always get the dvds out. In case you haven’t picked up on it, I’m trying to get her into it. So far she’s very tolerant of this obsession, and she’s more than willing to watch it with me if she has nothing better to do. I would like her to watch it of her own free will, but that probably isn’t going to happen. The only tv show she’s currently into like that is Life. It used to be House and Numb3rs and NCIS, but she loses interest after the first two seasons or so. Guess I can’t really blame her.

So anyway, although it seems my life revolves around this stuff, it’s not strictly true. I took Em out last night to see The Complete Works of Shakespeare which somehow turned out to be a whole dinner-and-a-show thing as it somehow became her belated Christmas present from me. Not wanting to stray to far from the Quay, we had dinner at Pancakes at the Rocks, and when I say dinner, I mean this only in the sense that we had food at what is considered dinner time, since we both actually took advantage of their all day breakfast menu and had bacon and eggs. As nocturnal beings, I feel this makes sense. I don’t know how or why, but we sat there for a very long time and the next thing I knew it was twenty to eight. Show started at eight. Oops. So there we were, scuttling back along the quay, dodging tourists and trying desperately to stay out of camera lenses lest we look like refugees from the planet lame (this is a turn of phrase I also picked up in the autobiography, which I think pretty much sums up most of my exploits and as such, I have adopted it for my own *pats words*). I was also yet again reminded why I like summer nights in the city - it's not nearly as hot as during the day and you can actually risk running around like a loon. Still, we did eventually make it with perhaps a minute to spare. We have skills.

The show was utterly hilarious. They do all 37 plays in 97 minutes. Although apparantly mentioning King Lear in a fictional footy match of historical plays starring the likes of Kings Henry, Richard and John, apparantly counts. They started with Romeo and Juliet, but when Romeo made his enterance it was to Panic! At The Disco’s ‘I write sins not tragedies’ [I can include the exclamation mark damn it, it was still there when this song was released] and he was wearing a black wig and a My Chemical Romance Revenge-era t-shirt. Introduction? It’s Ro-emo. Em and I were laughing our heads off from the minute we heard Panic and it was pretty much a sign to come for the rest of the night. There was a medley of comedies, Othello in rap, and Titus Andronicus as a cooking show. It was brilliant. Macbeth was done in Scottish accents, although just putting ‘mac’ in front of everything seems to count – “Macnot very Macmuch”. Hamlet closed the show, and it was done about four times – once like the others, then faster, then even faster, and then backwards. Even though it’s silly interpretations, I find it really interesting how people were on the edge of their seats for the final soliloquy – I mean everyone was leaning forward so intently. It’s just such an amazing thing really. It only made me ache yet again that I couldn’t see David Tennant in Hamlet though. It would have been the epitome of awesome. Shakespeare, whether done in this silly comedic fashion or plain and straight up, really is a great theatre experience. Seeing Shakespeare being played, the way it was always intended, is one of my favourite things. When you go back to read it after seeing it, it just makes so much more sense.

But I digress. I have probably rambled enough for one day. I might put good use to the Christmas present Em gave me yesterday. It’s so cool, she got it from Kikki K. where she works every now and then and there are post-its that say things like “read” and “love it” and “follow up”, as well as study-related ones. She knows me so well to indulge my post-it fetish. She also got me two notebooks; a book mark; pens that have swedish words and definitions on them (Kikki K. is a swedish company); and this hardcover book with tabs for things like books, music, films, and shops. All really good for me with my penchant for note-taking.

I still need to chuck out most of such said notes that I haven’t had a chance to go through yet. Sigh.

Music: Tiny Dancer - Elton John
Mood: Relaxed
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment