Saturday, January 3, 2009

Hot water bleeding our colours

Why do I not have “Burn the Witch” by Queens of the Stone Age? This is a gross oversight, I’m sure I had it at some point or another. Also, overcome by urge to listen to “Mercy” by Duffy, which I also apparanly do not have. What is this? Has the world gone mad? I don’t ever not have something! And the new James Bond theme song! Bah.

Also, I would like to ask the Prime Minister to make good on his promise for faster internet speed. This was an election promise, I may not care about politics nor take my forced voting seriously, but seeing as you are in power and everything, we might as well get something out of it, right? Right. Now make with the high speed.

Books I intend to acquire in some way, shape, or form:
- Torchwood Archives
- Doctor Who: A Writer’s Tale
- Brideshead revisited : Evelyn Waugh
- The girl with the curious hair : David Foster Wallace
- Maurice : E.M. Foster
- Tristram Shandy : Laurence Sterne
- Speaker for the dead : Orson Scott Card
- American Gods : Neil Gaiman

Let's have some random philosophy!

… when [a man] puts a thing on a pedestal and calls it beautiful, he demands the same delight from others. He judges not merely for himself, but for all men, and then speaks of beauty as if it were a property of things. Thus he says that the thing is beautiful; and it is not as if he counts on others agreeing with him in his judgment of liking owing to his having found them in such agreement on a number of occasions, but he demands this agreement of them. He blames them if they judge differently, and denies them taste, which he still requires of them as something they ought to have; and to this extent it is not open to men to say: Every one has his own taste. This would be equivalent to saying that there is no such thing as taste, i.e. no aesthetic judgment capable of making a rightful claim upon the assent of all men. (Kant 1928, p. 52)

Let us also have some quotage -

Life is full of near misses and absolute hits, of great love and small disasters. It’s banana milkshakes and lof insulation and random shoes. It’s dead ordinary and truly, truly amazing. What you’ve got to realize is it’s all here now, so breathe deep and swallow it whole.
[Torchwood, S1, Episode 9, 'Random Shoes']

Some days are special. Some days are so so blessed. Some days nobody dies at all. Now and then, every once in a very long while—every day in a million days when the wind stands fair and the Doctor comes to call—everybody lives.
[Doctor Who, S4, Episode 8, 'Silence in the Library']

Hmphg. Just love. These shows really are just that good.

Music: Hang me up to dry - Cold War Kids
Mood: Kinda grumpy
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Duffy?? Duffy?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know! That song's in an ad, I was like yeah ok, I'll listen to that *shrugs* I've got all my bases covered :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyway, I thought you liked Amy Winehouse? It's essentially the same thing.

    ReplyDelete