Thursday, January 22, 2009

If he was any further in the closet, he'd be in Narnia

A bone-deep weariness is seeping into my soul. I find myself more and more cocooned in my room, safe in bed and fictional worlds. So easy to be happy here, to forget to live. My peace is always shattered by the return of the parentals. It’s probably good though, that they’re here, I’d so easily become a hermit if left to my own devices. But it doesn’t make their constant presence and hovering in my door any less annoying. They recognise the slight change in behaviour for what it is, but after all these years, they still don’t know how to deal with it. They’ve never firmly grasped the concept of leaving me alone.

Here’s a scary thought, my dad has been offered a job in a different area which means he will now be working some horrific shift that starts at 6am to 6pm for two days, then 6pm to 6am for the next two, and THEN he has five days off. Count them, five. I am going to go insane. The 6pm to 6am shift is bad enough – he gets extremely grumpy when he works nights mostly cause he has difficulty sleeping during the day. Since I only work four hours a day, this means I am either going to have to limit my activities at home or not be home at all. The five days off…that’s just too daunting to even contemplate. For the first few days he’ll be grumpy as all hell due to sleep deprevation (he really doesn’t handle it well) and the rest of the time he is going to be bored out of his mind (he can’t ever sit still), all of which leads right back to me. So in short, we are going to kill each other. I swear. Mum of course doesn’t understand the level of my woe because I see him way more than she does – which is just not fair. She married him! I just live here. Anyway, this crazy madness starts next month. Bah, I say. Just. Bah. I don’t even know why they need anyone to work between 6pm and 6am…the bloody airport isn’t even open 24 hours. The plane isn't going to go anywhere. Sigh.

His being home more will mean I wont be able to spend my days like I spent this very morning – crawling out of bed at 11 only to collapse on the couch to watch David Tennant’s video diaries from Season 3. Which to me is an entirely acceptable way to spend a morning – David is such a loveable loon. Honestly. Making “ye olde” comments and pontificating on the Face of Boe’s difficulty finding other acting jobs…I just love it when I find other people exhibiting the same level of nuttiness I regularly do. At one point there were bits from the Doctor Who special of 'The Weakest Link' where John shows up with a bazillion shirts to choose from, and David’s all “Are you gay, John?” to which John responds with something along the lines of ‘Shh it’s a secret. Nobody knows.’ Like I said, loons. Although I have to agree with Catherine/Billie/David that John always looks good on camera…it really isn’t fair.

These Channel 10 ads for 'Life on Mars' are really starting to get on my nerves. I really wouldn't mind them (I do love a bit of Bowie after all) if it wasn't the US version. I want the UK version damn it! Why not show us that one, huh, huh? It was first after all AND it has John Simm in it! See, if The Master was in charge I wouldn't have to put up with this nonsense *huffs* Why even make a US version in the first place? The inner workings of television broadcasters are really baffling some times.

Don't blame me, I voted for Saxon.

I really need to start writing again. More specifically, writing for Soliloquy. I’m beginning to feel overwhelmed again, just by the sheer scope of the project, but this always happens before I start a new year. Exactly a month and two days till I have to drag myself off to class again…a culture subject too, joy. No, no. We’re being optimisitc about furthering my education and justifying another year doing nothing. So, as the Jack London quote says, you can’t wait for inspiration to strike, you have to go after it with a club.

But I’ll do that tomorrow, right now, I’ve got a date with a certain Doctor.

[Another quote I was debating including was Kafka – “A first sign of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die” – which really explains all those suicidal urges while writing Culture & Poetics essays last year *snort*]

Question of the day: How did people live without google and wikipedia?

Music: I wish I had an evil twin - The Magentic Fields
Mood: Cranky
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I have no problems with becoming a hermit. For a couple of weeks in year 7 I pretened I was some sort of excitingly exotic monk who had taken a vow of silence, so its not that muck of a stretch.
    I have four days to spend alone with my mother, starting tomorrow. I expect she'll want to bond or something.

    I fucking run screaming from the room, blood leaking from my ears when those ads come on. It would be alright if the show was in any way original(shuffling back to what we were talking about earlier) but those damn Americans use the same camera techniques and the same script even as the Big British Castle one. They don't even have the advantage of having a halfway cool or compelling actor in the lead.

    When I was in the UK, The Weakest Link was seriously the best show in teh world.

    Kafka can go boil his head in cream-cheese, silly man.

    Ooh, wanna hear a joke, I made it up myself? Okay..
    Q: What did one Nihilist say to the other?
    *interested look from the audience, someone asks "What?"*
    A:...Oh, nothing...

    Not that I'm saying Kafka was a Nihilist, I'm just saying that quote was a bit Nihilistic, wouldn't you say? I'm not sure.

    Grrreat song you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a couple of weeks in year 7 I pretened I was some sort of excitingly exotic monk who had taken a vow of silence
    Have I pointed out that you are clearly made of awesome? Well, now you know.

    I really don't know WHY they needed to make an exact copy of Life on Mars for the US. It is completely beyond me...could they not understand the accent or something? This all reflects rather poorly on the US if you ask me.

    I suppose that quote is rather nihilistic when you think about it. Kafka was rather prone to it. The main thing with philosophy is that if it starts making sense, you're in trouble. At uni this usually means I've either not slept enough OR I've had to many red bulls. We studied Heidegger last year and I promise you one of the readings said "a thing is a thing in its thinging". What I want to know is why its ok for them to make shit up but if I were to do the same for an essay, I'd just get scoffed at. Blatant academic elitism.

    ReplyDelete