Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Close your eyes

There is a lot of delusion in fandom. I realise it's all fictional anyway, but I think it might be better to err on the side of judgement and make sure to stick to what's actually plausible within the source of the fandom, as opposed to just whatever imaginings and wishful thinking takes one's fancy. It detracts from the original source, dilutes it and contorts it. What have we learnt? Deep down, I guess I'm a purist.

Only in my house will you find someone sitting under a blanket when it was yet again over 40 outside. It's not so bad when I'm home alone cause I maintain, what I feel is, a reasonable temperature but the mintue my dad gets here it all goes to hell. Well not hell...unless hell has frozen over, in which case the analogy is apt. I was yet again in that situation where I go out to get the mail, wearing a hoodie [hood up] resulting in the neighbours further questioning my sanity and near death from heat exhaustion. I never get used to it. It's hard to hate on the air-con for this cause without it, it's too damn hot, but with it, I live in a weird climateless state where I never quite know what the hell is going on out there. This is probably also due to the fact that I need to go out more...other than just, you know, work.

And so, on a completely related note, I should really go to bed so I can get up at a respectable time tomorrow (ie before 10.30) and go to the city in order to be back in time for work. I need to go pick up tickets for a play from the Opera House. Epic. Sigh.

Boredom continues to rage unchecked!

What Kind of Reader Are You?
Your Result: Dedicated Reader

You are always trying to find the time to get back to your book. You are convinced that the world would be a much better place if only everyone read more.

Literate Good Citizen
Obsessive-Compulsive Bookworm
Book Snob
Fad Reader
Non-Reader
What Kind of Reader Are You?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

Music: Love story - Taylor Swift
Mood: Still moody
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say (before I forget) that you have excellent taste in music (The Magnetic Fields are my favourite band). That fact alone makes you tip-top, but also the whole Doctor Who/Torchwood obsession...Go You!

    I'm sort of a purist, but with fandom I think you're allowed to go a bit weird in the head and have mad flights of fancy. I don't really understand why they have Torchwood fanfic though, surely there is enough sex and cheesy-watsits in the original source...

    Also, thinking about that "It detracts from the original source, dilutes it and contorts it." sentence, I have to take issue with you. I think that all stories are amalgams and mixed up hybrids of stories/myths before them, there is nothing completely pure anymore. I don't think its possible to be a purist however much we want to be.

    DW and TW (even though they are very original shows) are made up of cherry-picked parts of stories that have been distorted from their original shape.
    The Doctor is himself a perfect case in point: The Mad Hatter, Heathcliff, The Pied Piper, The Wandering Jew, The Wise Old Man, Odysseus, Merlin and of course, he has literally changed his appearance but remained essentially the same thoughout the canon of the show.
    There you are, I've taken issue with you. Done. ( I hope that was comprihenisble, I haven't read it over)

    I am also a victim of unchecked boredom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just recently discovered The Magentic Fields and it's just love. Simple really :) I've got a really weird taste in music so sometimes it can be a bit shocking.

    Hahaha I think Torchwood is particularly suited to most people's wild flights of fancy because even if they come up with some utterly bizarre concept, it still somehow fits. Blowfish stealing sports cars and all that.

    You make a compeltely valid point of course. I mean at the end of the day, nothing is really original. You can find bits that link back to anything and everything. I guess what I was trying to say in my half-assed way is that with fandom, and people seeing only what they want to see, they kinda miss the original point of the actual episode/film/book/whatever. As a writer I know I'd be pretty pissed if someone completely ignored what I was trying to say because they got sidetracked by something inconsequential. I know this is a completely unrealistic view point, because people are always going to do that, so really, I'll just have to get over it.

    I enjoy people taking issue, especially if it's related to the Whoniverse. Otherwise it's too easy for me to get lost in my own madness :)

    ReplyDelete