Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mixtape June 09

The songs of choice for this dreaded month of winter.

Anberlin, Dismantle. Repair, I go through phases with Anberlin songs – I just pick one that I listen to continuously for a few days for no apparent reason and then abruptly move on again without a second thought. This was the repeat ad nauseum song for this month. It's not that I hang on every word, I hang myself on what you. It’s not that I keep hanging on, I'm never letting go.

Ludo, Topeka, Still on this one from last month. Worryingly obsessed with it, don’t know why exactly but these things hardly ever make sense.

Fall Out Boy, Headfirst slide into Cooperstown on a bad bet, I love singing along to this as I’m driving to work in the morning. It makes the whole going to work thing seem less painful. Does your husband know the way that the sunshine gleams from your wedding band? Also, because I’m an idiot, I find intense amounts of glee in this since I’ve made the connection of Cooperstown with Gwen Cooper – and it’s apt! That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

Jack’s Mannequin, Bruised, Another song I just love singing along to – really loudly and out of key at that, but still. There’s something almost cathartic in the process. Besides, Andrew McMahon just composes such beautiful, easy melodies.

Cobra Starship, Smile for the Paparazzi, For some reason I always forget how heavy this song actually is, it’s quite deceptive.

Cobra Starship, The world has its shine, This one has recently grown on me. I love the guitar work, and it’s just subtly sweet and yet still fun, as all Cobra’s songs tend to be.

Say Anything, Resounding, God I love this song. I always forget exactly how much, it’s not really quintessential Max in rant mode which he does so brilliantly, but it’s vulnerable and there’s something so honest about it, it makes my heart ache a little. I’m lame I know. You give your trust to those who don't deserve your trust. You put yourself through hell, as you sweat pound for pound, but as the drama fades, tell me what will resound. It’s always been for you, I sing every song for you.

My Chemical Romance, Kill all your friends, This has to be one of my all time favourite b-sides. Ever. A great big perfect sing-a-long chorus that makes it such a shame it’ll probably never be played live.

Green Day, Peacemaker, 21CB song of the month, this one get’s stuck in my head and makes me feel kind of vengefully gleeful. Unsure as to why precisely. Utterly obsessed with the line ’Call up the Captain, death to the lover you were dreaming of’.

All American Rejects, Gives You Hell, This one surely does not need explanation. Easy to relate to, easy to sing along to, easy to enjoy. So much fun.

Timbaland ft She Wants Revenge, Time, From Timbaland’s collaborative album ‘Shock Value’, this tune with alternative/electro duo She Wants Revenge has always been a favourite of mine. They’re quite an odd band so you have to be in the mood for them, but there’s something about this collab that just agrees with me. The rapping contrasts perfectly with the almost monotonous drawl of Justin Warfield's chorus, and I can’t say I really object to the lyrics either.

Muse, New Born,
That damn piano intro gets me every time. Every time! That’s why I want to live in it! There’s no tangible, quantifiable way for me to express what that does or is to me.

Mercy Mercedes, Shiver Me Timbers,
Last but not least, there’s this pop punk tune which is completely ridiculous and yet so much fun that I can’t help but love it.

Music: Daddy's Gone - Glasvegas
Mood: Perhaps overly fond of Irish Coffee
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment