Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Drop a coin for humanity

Woah what a day. I am spent.

After the lack of sleep the past week and the advent of horrific Ianto-killing dreams, I could barely keep my eyes open last night. I passed out just after 10 (which never happens) and dragged myself awake just after 6 as I still had to do my thesis presentation for today's class. This is one of my pet hates. I have never been one to do my assignments the day it's due, cause it's just too much like playing with fire, or arguing with the Mouth of Sauron. That is, provoking doom and destruction. But c'est la vie, I was simply too tired to get it done. But of course, being a procrastinator, I only started the damn thing around 9, after I let the Oven Cleaning Guy in. As a side note, he made quite a bit of noise, but at least we now have a clean oven which I used tonight to make dinner actually, so yay.

Anyway, by the time mum got home to pay said Oven Cleaning Guy around 10, I only had 4 minutes worth of a proposal. By the time Oven Cleaning Guy left, I clocked in at 6 minutes and had given up. I just can't find a way to talk about my project at any great length because it is a creative piece and it would mostly take shape as it's written, while the theory will come from that once it's done. So until it's actually done, I can only be very vague about what I'm trying to do. So off I went with this rather random and too short presentation. I rushed through it at lightning speed as I always do, rocking the chair on two legs (one day I will fall off and kill myself) but once it was done and I was trying to brace myself for the slew of questions that I couldn't answer, they were all very accomodating and said it sounded excellent. Pause. Blink. What? As it turns out the only major criticism they had was that it was still too broad a topic and that I should perhaps narrow it down to one particular field or social networking site. So let's all wave hello to Twitter because as a micro-blogging site it offers me the most room to work with in terms of analysing the representation of identity in text. Since it's fairly limited in what it does, only providing updates, it's open to a reader-response type of analysis and textual framework setting.

I'm just amazed that it went down so well. Huh. Glad I didn't stay up all night worrying about it. I've posted the actual thing earlier, just for reference's sake.

In non-uni related happenings, I used my PayPal account for the first time today [which is kind of sad since I've had it sine '07] and it was such a breeze. I wish more online sites allowed me to pay this way, it greatly negates the need for the dreaded credit card of doom.

I think my desktop just kind of freaked my dad out. Haha. I'm quite fond of it, I made it myself and I've never been able to get that whole smoke effect thing happening until now. Screencap?

As I'm on the subject of images, found these pics on Jasper today. Not quite sure what I was trying to take a photo of, but the first one is kind of cool anyway.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Also, someone remind me to take a photo of a particular room in Bon Marche level 3. I nearly collapsed in a fit of insane giggles when I walked past it with the others girls yesterday. They wouldn't get it so I immediately had to text Lizzie or combust with glee. I'm a loser like that.

Oh yesterday, what weirdness. We spent almost an hour sitting outside Martin's office before finally getting someone to ring him, only to find out he's in hospital. One of the girls then had the idea that we should workshop our stuff anyway, so off we went to a cafe and spent two hours going over our creative pieces. We were sitting there, with a laptop open, looking at art books and reading poetry out loud. I kid you not. It's probably the most collegial I have ever felt in my entire life. I mean who actually does that? 'You sit in circles with your friends, pontificating to each other' comes to mind.

Now only two more things to do. Creative piece is virtually done even if no one understood what I'm trying to do (surely a sign I'm being post-modern...no?) and just an essay on how the everyday is perceived and changed in terms of how experience is represented in text.

As for the gigs I mentioned this morning, I'm thinking of trying to do both Friendly Fires and Manchester Orchestra. I'm just nervous that I will mistime it and end up missing the second one. See, Friendly Fires is at the Manning Bar at Sydney Uni, door time set at 6. With that timeframe, one would expect them to be on stage around 8.30, done by 11 at the latest. Manchester Orchestra has a door time of 8, and it's at the Oxford Art Factory. Last time I was at that venue with Em, the headliner wasn't even on by 11.30. So, if they stick to my expectations, it would give me half an hour at the very least to get from the Manning to Oxford street. Completely do-able but maybe a bit risky, it would suck majorly to just arrive too late. I don't know. Will think about it. Not for too long though...don't want to miss out completely!

I'm off to bed. I'm freezing out here, and I have a pounding headache. Besides, I just feel like watching 'Cyberwoman'. I'm working tomorrow - the other girl is having some surgery so I'm picking up a few extra shifts. What's annoying is that I'm not getting paid any extra cause it's sort of negated by the long weekend. Sigh. At least I have time to finish my assignments. That's something.

P.S. Just realised I've hit 500 updates on Twitter. It's also my most visited site according to google toolbar. When did this happen? Why did this happen? I weep for my future.

Music: East Jesus Nowhere - Green Day
Mood: Exhausted
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha dude I love your desktop!!! Though I can understand your dad's worry.

    I need a new desktop. Sigh.

    See, I knew your preso would go well! Need to stress less!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd think he'd get used to it. There's plenty of that lying around the place. It only makes sense, I love Jack and I absolutely adore Ianto, and with them being together I can simply direct all my glee in one direction. Saves time!

    I'll make you a desktop! I'm not very good at it, but I don't mind trying. Anything particular you want?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are those men... kissing... hee hee hee...

    ReplyDelete