Friday, June 26, 2009

I taste blood every time I think of summer

Ugh I am so tired and I don't know why. I just can't stop yawning. It doesn't seem fair that I can still be tired after, essentially, spending the week watching television. If I am not expending any energy, why do I still need to sleep?

I finished Small Favour, finally. I enjoyed it much more than White Night, but I still feel like the series is flagging a bit. I found it hard to maintain interest in the beginning and it wasn't until the Aquarium when everything was revealed to be a trap that I really got into it. I like Harry stumbling into things unwittingly and being way out of his league.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy The Dresden Files, and they're still good fun overall. It's just that the character has matured to a point where I sometimes don't find him all that interesting anymore. As Abs noted, I like my men properly fucked up. The Master, Jack Harkness, these are the characters that do it for me. They're damaged and more often than not they go in without thinking things through properly. Harry used to be like that, he was constantly being knocked unconcious, using all his will, getting in fire fights, and having his hand pretty much blown off. I realise that a character has to change otherwise the series would become dull and predictable. But Harry seems so in control and respectable in general now, he plots and is always prepared. So instead of having a situation where he's trapped and you wonder what crazy spell he's going to pull out to get out of it, he has a carefully controlled plan of action. This to me is not nearly as much fun as it used to be. It was all "go go go, don't put the book down" before (Summer Knight being a prime example - by far my favourite of the series), now it's all like "whatever, he's talking and plotting for three chapters, take your time." It's just not grabbing me straight off the bat like it used to. Also, I really don't care about Molly Carpenter. If it wasn't for Mab and the mad faerie courts, I'd have give up on the whole thing halfway through the last book.

Also, I can't believe Michael has given up the Sword! And then gave it to Harry! Not another one! I'm annoyed enough with him still having the first one! Yes, all those exclamation marks are necessary. I still think he should just give the damn sword to Thomas. He might be a Vampire but he fights his demons, has good intentions, and is of "royal" descent. It'd be a nice twist to have a Vampire serve the will of God. There's a strong religious metaphor in there somewhere, but I'm too cold to tease it out.

Speaking of nerdom, as if I speak of anything else, Supanova is on tomorrow and I completely forgot. SIGH. Must not forget about Being Human tonight though.

I have downloaded soooo much music today. Mostly indie. I got a bit despondent looking through my usual sites last night. I've been out of the scene for the last few months and now I hardly recognise any of the names (many of which seem to get more ridiculous with every passing second), it makes me feel too old for all this.

In other news, I must of course acknowledge the passing of Michael Jackson. The first album I ever bought with my own money was Thriller and it was my 11th birthday. I also got my own hi-fi that day...and I think the soundtrack to Grease. What can I say, I was hardcore. Anywho, while it didn't necessarily surprise me to find out he died, I am slightly stunned by the lack of bizarre circumastances around it. I figured it would be something insane. This is all very, well, normal really. Strangely enough, that does make it feel more surreal somehow. Ah well, I'm sure there are lots of people who are really torn up about this, to which I say much sympathies. I cannot imagine how I will cope when one of my favourites passes on one day, I shudder at the thought. I was upset enough when Heath Ledger died.

If we count David Carradine (who perhaps has the monopoly on bizarre deaths for the year) and Farah Fawcett (who I didn't even realise was sick until I caught Ryan O'Neal on E! last week, so that was quite a surprise), that makes three, so is all this over now? I mean, superstitiously things happen in three. The associated media coverage from these things always makes me feel in equal parts sickened and depressed...

Music: Topeka - Ludo
Mood: Sleepy
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment