Sunday, June 28, 2009

I put myself in these situations

Ah man, what a day. I really want to go to San Diego Comic Con now, just to see the sheer scope and madness of it all cause even on the no doubt smaller scale that is Supanova, I had such a complete blast. Em was an absolutely perfect companion and I think we really made the most of it all and geeked out.

The highlight of the day was defintely Karl Urban, not only did he actually pose for a photo when he noticed me sneakily trying to take one without lining up, but he was all sorts of hilarious in his talk. He's wonderful. I think I fell in love a little. Lots of anecdotes and doing his Star Trek lines, making fun and just in general being a great sport. So yes, very nice experience.

I also got my compulsory Who fangirling in, as if a day passes where I don't find an excuse to do this. I got a pic with a Ten wannabe but later spotted another one who had the crazy Tennant hair but sadly we didn't see him again to grab a pic. There was only the one Whoniverse stall who saw it fit to give me a free 'Planet of the Dead' poster....of the giant fly man. Thanks guys. Really. Just come to think that maybe this was because I am clearly of the Torchwood persuasion of which they were none too keen on, but no, I'm not one for conspiracy theories. I'm sure we all got the stupid fly one, I mean it's not like anyone would actually buy it, they'd have to give it away.

Em and I also sat through the cosplay event/parade/thing hosted by a very annoying guy (I'm sorry, but it's true) as Em wanted to ogle the costumes. The people who had dances/sketches were quite amusing...like a demented sort of talent show. Other people merely posed, but then again I suppose it's meant to be about the costumes not about who's the most entertaining. There was a rather worrying Who sketch on at one point - they had a TARDIS...with legs. It was odd. To be honest, I didn't have a clue who half the people were, not being into anime much. I did seem some random costumes just wandering around the place including Pac-Man and Wally (of Where's Wally? fame). There was also a guy dressed in a giant yellow box...I'm not quite sure what his deal was. Oh, and the Ghostbusters guys! They were brilliant, really awesome costumes.

There was of course a huge Star Wars presence. The most memorable of it all was simply recognising the man playing one of the rebel fighter pilots as the same guy who played the same role at the Powerhouse Star Wars exhibition a couple of months ago. Is this his hobby - going from convention to convention playing a random character? Amusing.

Oh and Dick Bennedict! Whose hair still looks pretty much exactly the same it did in the 70s! Crazy. I had a bit of a glee moment at Em, I mean come on - it's Face! My mum is a bit of an original Battlestar Galactica fangirl, so that teamed with a whole lot of A-Team watching, well I've grown up knowing about him. So it's a bit surreal seeing him there. Although Em was hilarious when she asked if I wanted a photo with the old man. Epic lol.

Everyone seemed to be bashing Twilight at any given opportunity on stage, which I think is kind of sad seeing as they had one of the cast there and she had a huge line most of the time (Rachelle Lefevre who plays Victoria, and who is quite pretty I must say). I think it's become this thing where people are just negative because that's the thing to do you know. I mean, I'm not keen on the movie either, but the sheer extent of the negative response seems to greatly outweigh what is necessarily deserved. If that makes sense...my head hurts, don't expect me to make much sense.

See, I knew that chocolate sundae would come back to bite me in the ass!

Overall though I think it was great fun. We even bought comic books to get into the spirit of it all. Have some random photos - I took the first three, the rest are all Em's, she did a great job capturing the madness.

Photobucket
Ze floor.

Photobucket
Hee! Karl Urban = love.

Photobucket
Who you gonna call...

Photobucket
K9! Affirmative master!

Photobucket
The robot rest area. Note that they even had one of those weird little Imperial droid thingies that are so cute in the movies...well, I think they're cute anyway.

Photobucket
The Force was definitely strong throughout the day.

Conclusion: Geekdom is amazing.

Music: Whoa Oh (Me vs Everyone) - Forever The Sickest Kids
Mood: Amused
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment