Friday, October 30, 2009

Watch the carnival lights explode

Man, what a bizarre day.

This morning I was verging on homicidal rage. So fucking annoyed. Really. It all started with the first patient in taking well over an hour, thereby pushing all other appointments back an hour. By 9.30 the place was packed, fuller than I have ever seen it, I ran out of chairs for crying out loud. People kept getting pissed at me, as if I had some magical control over the process. I tried to move some appointments to save people from having to wait, but they just got annoyed at me. I was all fine, come in at your appointed time then and sit here for an hour. I don't care. The other annoying thing is people who come in and ask "Is there a wait?" Hmm. No, I just keep all these people here to brighten up the place. Of course there's a wait, there's a line out the damn door! We had a medical to do as well, so I had to try and sort him out and ugh. Just a nightmare. The entire week has been like this, complete madness and chaos. Not only are we booked out but people are taking forever in their consults. I don't know what's going on, but I hope it stops soon. It's crazy.

By the time I managed to get out of there, I was so exhausted and without a will to live, I couldn't be bothered going into the city and doing my shopping, so I went home and had lunch instead. Got Abs birthday present sorted, so hopefully that will arrive on time. Though I have some anxiety about the ordering/delivery system employed, so fingers crossed it all works out.

It was only a short break as I had to head to the Cross to meet Mandy. I got there early (I seem to be early for everything except work) only to find her already there having lunch, husband and dogs in tow. We went through my creative piece, which she's made a few notations on and which I should really be editing right now since I said I'd have it ready for her tomorrow. I've learnt that editing is never done, it appears that there is no such thing as a final draft you're actually happy with. My theory on the other hand seems to be fine. She thought it was fine, everyone else who has read the exegesis (*tips hat to my amazing friends*) thought it was fine. I thought it was terrible, but clearly I have no idea what I'm doing and am just preparing myself for the worst out of habit. Writing theory after midnight is clearly a win. Mandy actually asked me why I sent it to her at such an odd time, haha.

Anyway, that was really the minor point of the afternoon, it takes all of ten minutes to go through my stuff. She makes really excellent notes on the drafts she gives to me, and it's always very clear what she thinks needs work. I really can't stress enough how lucky I've been to have her as a supervisor. She has, in short, been absolutely brilliant. I thought this would be our last meeting, but she's willing to give it one final proof before submission, so I'm meeting her on Tuesday. So it is at this point that I find myself sitting in a bistro in Kings Cross with two of the most prominent writers in this country, just talking about life, writing, theory and UTS. Like I'm not just some deluded punk kid, which I suppose is how I see myself. When I left I actually started panicking a little bit as the AVPD kicked in. I suppose I was terrified in retrospect. Best way to go about things I suppose. So yes, quite surreal, but fantastic. I cannot believe that this is actually my life. That this is what I want from my life. I wish I knew how to get it for keeps, how to make it happen. But I just have to persevere.

I also spoke to Mandy about Masters and whether I should accept the UTS offer or just wait for USYD. She agreed with me that variety may be good, especially since I've studied under most of the writers at UTS. Get new perspectives and such. So waiting for Sydney now. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, I best start on this creative draft. Get it out of the way before NaNoWriMo starts. I have moved from excitement to apprehension on that front. Story, what story? I think mine suffers from multiple personality disorder, I'm going for noir-ish mystery/adventure/sci-fi. I'm sure that will work *cough*

Oh, I'm trialing Bigpond Movies, which is essentially Quickflix/Netflix, my first two dvds arrived today. They make it so easy! Also since I've added my dvd collection to my profile, they're getting the recommendations pretty much spot on. I was impressed.

It's officially eight years since I first stepped onto Australian soil. That's right, I've now been a Sydney-sider for eight mostly wonderful years, have had many adventures and made brilliant friends and had a life I wouldn't trade for the world. I can't believe it's only been eight, it feels longer.

Conclusion, life is strange.

So before we turn to ghosts on the mist on the sand,
or fall in line for more conducive plans,
See, I never took a shot to the higher minds,
but I can hold the soft waltz down.

Music: Say I won't (recognize) - The Gaslight Anthem
Mood: Weird
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Haha yes you can. It's going to the office cause they were really unhelpful in explaining their shipping system to me *grumps*

    ReplyDelete