Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sometimes it just feels better to give in

Note: This post contains random images as well as possible spoilers for Lie to Me episode 'Truth or consequences' if anyone actually cares about that sort of thing.

The unthinkable has happened. I was positively stunned and my mother can attest to this. Perhaps I should start at the beginning.

Feeling dizzy and generally unamused, I could not muster the will to move back to the study after dinner. So I ended up watching another episode of Lie to me. I have come to the conclusion I really enjoy it. For those who don't know, the show centers around Dr. Cal Lightman (Tim Roth) and his colleagues at The Lightman Group, an organisation that assists investigations by using applied psychology (interpreting micro-expressions and body language.) Part of the appeal is Cal being one of those characters that's quite obsessive and has very little people skills. He reminds me a bit of House, except not as...House-like? I'm glad I'm making this clear.

Photobucket
Team Lying Is Futile

It's a very new show, having only started January this year, and the second season started screening in the US at the end of September, so it has the advantage of being quite topical. The title sequence tonight had a flash of the Roman Polanski black and white doing the rounds everywhere atm. That's sort of a trademark of the show I suppose, like the Numb3rs grid or the NCIS black and white freeze-frames. They have these flashes of images from real situations pertinent to the case or behavioural trait being examines. Anyway, one of the story lines of tonight's episode was concerned with statutory rape in the case of an underage girl attending a college frat party, sleeping with one of the football players, filming it, followed by her father having the guy arrested. This is really only pertinent to the moment where I flailed like the pathetic loser I am because the state prosecutor pursuing her case happened to be none other than sci-fi bad boy extraordinaire James Marsters.

Photobucket
"I look good in a suit too, you know"

It's my humble opinion that this man has to be one of the coolest guys around. He's been in virtually all of my favourite shows. Not only was he the magnificently bad-ass Spike of Buffy fame, he also put in an appearance in the shining jewel of my fandom glory as Captain John Hart, the borderline psychotic ex-partner of one Jack Harkness (there are a lot of psychotic exes in the Harkness file, but that's a whole other blog right there). Recently he even showed up in Numb3rs as an illegal arms runner. He is perhaps the only reason I may ever possibly even contemplate sitting through the Dragonball movie.

Photobucket
Cheekbones!

Photobucket
Seriously, where do I apply for a transfer to the 51st Century?

But, and there is always a but, what left me gaping at the television (and proclaiming to my mother "But they can't do that!") is simply this: the girl was using a fake ID, the football player was uninformed, everything was consensual, ergo the prosecutor had no choice but to dismiss the case. The girl's aforementioned father can't deal with this, so believing the system has failed him, he shows up at the prosecutor's house...and shoots him. Dead. James Marsters. He avoided being staked by the Slayer for a number of years I can't actually recall. He avoided being killed by an extremely pissed off Ianto and (a no doubt psychologically unhinged) Jack. Gwen too, had ample opportunity to off him but to be honest I think only Ianto had any real conviction. He also avoided the FBI and the winning combination of Team Eppes, foiling both Don and Charlie, and that never happens!

Photobucket
As if anyone was ever going to stake something this pretty.

Photobucket
Sneaky Ianto shot. He's so cute when he's murderous.

Photobucket
Captain John is perplexed by the sudden change of topic (aka seething with jealousy) Sorry dude, priorities.

Photobucket
Meanwhile, Don just wants to run him over.

So yes. Where all these usually unstoppable forces of awesome failed, an aggrieved father and a garden variety handgun did the unthinkable. I felt this deserved a blog. After all, nobody kills James Marsters. I guess what I've learned from this is that your chances of survival are dramatically improved when you are a morally ambiguous character, as opposed to an upstanding member of the law community. It helps if said ambiguous character is also very, very cool.

Photobucket
Well, I'm sold. All for joining the dark side?

Music: My blue heaven - Taking Back Sunday
Mood: Procrastinating, clearly
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I was about to make a sarky comment along the lines of 'reality check!' but then I remembered who I was commenting to ... ;)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Realise that you and I were destined to be friends, who else would put up a james masters appreciation blog? [bar me]

    You were created on a special day indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I included the pics just for you hun :D

    ReplyDelete