Thursday, October 22, 2009

Our bruises are coming but we will never fold

I am soooo tired. Ugh. I haven't been very productive either. Fine-tuned my intro, sitting at 327 which is a bit less I was aiming for, but I was also aiming at a 5, 000 word essay but anything over 2, 000 will do. So I figure let it flow and see where it takes me.

I've written my acknowledgements, since that's something that has to be done and it's vaguely productive. In it I thank Mandy, the parentals, Abbi, Roze and Em, the people whose tweets I've lifted, and it ends with the following:

and finally Muse, Brand New, The Gaslight Anthem, Kill Hannah, Twin Atlantic, Torchwood and the Big Bang Theory, for providing the perfect background noise to the creative process. Nothing worthwhile ever happens without a good soundtrack.

I may be the first person to ever thank bands and tv shows in the acknowledgement of academic work, but it says you must credit everyone who helped with your piece and this is me we’re talking about here, nothing gets done without this lot. I am certainly not one to balk at tipping my hat to my inspiration. Besides, I'm probably going to be lifting a title from a song and I'll be using a TBBT quote, so it's all valid. Plus it makes my inner geek happy. It's important I keep it happy...though to be honest, it probably isn't as "inner" as I imply it is.

Anywho, I had a lovely lunch and movie session with Stono. Final Destination made me feel mostly ill and unsettled as I expected it would, but it was still good fun in that ludicrous way those types of movies always are. It works brilliantly in 3D I must say, out of all the 3D movies I've seen, this one actually felt like it made a difference. I am perplexed by the amount of gasoline and general flammable liquids merely standing around and toppling over in every day life though, Health and Safety Inspectors everywhere are having nightmares.

Now I have to get back to work. Mandy was promised a copy of everything by Sunday, so I simply must have a draft done. Speaking of my supervisor of awesome, she emailed today about organising examiners for me. Now I had no idea that I had any say in who marked my thesis so I was drawing a total blank. She's asking one of her friends to be my external examiner and said friend happens to be the head of writing at USYD. Seeing as I want to do my Masters there, I can't have asked for anything better.

Music: Silver lining - Rilo Kiley
Mood: Sleepy
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment