Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I like my coffee black just like my metal

You know what disappoints me about the Harry Potter books? Draco's complete wimpiness. I always though there was some greater part being set up for him, either redemptive or just being quite kick-ass evil, but really he doesn't do much other than stand around being cowardly. Ok there's the whole plot to kill Dumbledore, but he wasn't going to do it and he only got as far as he did under duress. He's just a lot of talk, and in the end he just falls apart. Quite disappointing. The again, this might just be because I think Tom Felton could play evil overlord quite well, who knows.

I should have stayed home today. Complete waste of time. I sat with two people I haven't spoken to before and we spent the entire time snickering and being bored. Eventually we all three ended up leaving early. The girl is a lot like me and we were both bitching about no one ever leaving us alone and lecturer's trying to "include" you when all you want to do is sit in the back and mind your own business. We also generally bemoaned how slow the class seemed to be picking up on all this technology stuff. So the only thing I really ended up doing today was spending money at Borders. I acquired:
* Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
* Identity - Milan Kunderra
* The way by Swann's - Marcel Proust (first part of his epic book of doom)
* The inheritance of loss - Kiran Desai
I shouldn't have but it's uni related, so I feel I can justify it.

Now I have to do my readings for tomorrow, all of which is centred around "walking in the city". One of the readings uses the World Trade Centre as an extended metaphor throughout, which I find to be rather unfortunate. Because, clearly, that didn't work out so well. Lizzie pointed out to me the other day that it's almost been 10 years. It makes me feel old. But anyway. I really should stop leaving these readings till the last minute. It's so hard for me to absorb any of it, it's just so...blah. I really resent using the same word in every sentence of a paragraph.

Until I've done that, I give thee this random site of things weirdly translated to English.

AAAAH I am an idiot. I just realised Adrian/Ozymandias from Watchmen is played by Matthew Goode. That explains the immediate reaction I had to him *shakes head at self*

Oh, and this kind of struck me as wrong: "Mostly straight, multiplex-going audiences don't want to see a romantic comedy in which two dudes get it on; unless it is meant as a joke," commented Scott Stiffler, author of Why Hollywood Avoids Gay Movies. It's all fair enough until it got to the "unless it's meant as a joke" bit. I take that to mean movies like 'I now pronounce you Chuck & Larry' (because yeah, that did well *cough*). If you ask me that pretty much highlights a major issue in representation within the industry, let alone society. It's from this article over a new Jim Carrey/Ewan McGregor movie

Music: Shut me up - MSI
Mood: Working
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Brideshead!
    "World Trade Centre as an extended metaphor"- Yuck, generally.
    That movie sounds interesting, despite the fact that I dislike Jim Carrey. Homophobia seems to be a pretty intense undercurrent in mainstream culture. I find even liberalist, friendly, nice people gnerally go "Yuck" when buttsex is mentioned. When hetro sex is mentioned "Oooh, lalaaa" or "cute" or "romantic".
    One of my freinds is more horrified that the fact that people might be bi than gay as "You never know which way they are swinging. makes me uncomfortable."

    "I think Tom Felton could play evil overlord quite well". nO. Alan Rickman could, should and must. Someone discribed the way he talks as "Slowly, darkly and making sure his lips don't touch his gums, under any cirumstances.", which if you try and imitate that way of speaking, you will slowly become him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dude, Alan Rickman FTW. Always.

    I'm not big on Jim Carrey either. I reserve my major dislike for Nicholas Cage though.

    Homophobia is something that completely baffles me and gets me into trouble time and time again. It's completely true what you said tho, about the whole romantic thing. You can have gay relationship depicted and people are all "Oh no, that's the gay thing, I didn't watch it" but if you have a straight couple in that same role, no one ever defines it by the coupling. That really annoys me. It's something I get all the time being such a huge Torchwood fan, and it immediately riles me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's pathetic that people can't just appreciate love as love... it's only those who are repressed or afraid of their own latent desires that are grossed out by homosexual relationships.

    ReplyDelete