Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I don't mind you under my skin

1 Int. Classroom

Lone figure sitting on windowsill, staring out at the world. Door opens and four guys file in, taking seats at the front of the room, continually talking. More people follow shortly. She sighs and moves from the window to a table. She ties her hair back while eavesdropping on the other conversations about readings, theorists, research, and thesis projects. Sighing again, she merely sits back in her chair and pulls out a magazine. The bright, graphic heavy pages is in stark contrast with the photocopied sheets on every other desk. With one last look at the clock, she starts to read, a contended smile settling in place.

My entire experience in a nutshell. I'm just not that into being an academic, or seeming like an academic. I like learning new things and knowing things in general, but I don't want to seem like I labour under some misapprehension of intellectual superiority. So while everyone else is flapping about, and by rights I should be flapping about right along with them, I'm perfectly content reading the comic in whatever wayward fan magazine I acquired. While looking like a complete weirdo. But a completely weirdo in excellent shoes.

I had every intention to get up early this morning and do my readings (which I didn't do last night for reasons I can no longer remember) but I didn't. Instead I woke up at 10 and stumbled about trying to shake the headache that's still hanging about. I guess I'm still too flu-y to really be productive. But now I have to read like 60 pages for tomorrow. Bah.

I still havent found a new supervisor either. Waiting for someone to email me back. Epic sigh. I need to find one in the next two weeks or I am screwed. Then again, what else is new.

On another note, I've started something with a work guy [again]. There have been some instances in the past where it was said he was interested, but I was distracted by someone else at the time. Thing is he's exactly like me, introverted, which makes any sort of interaction difficult. For some reason though, I swan around that company with an inordinate amount of confidence (probably because I've known so many people there for so long), so I've made it a point to connect with him now, even if it's just eye contact, a smile, a brief word here or there, mostly because it amuses me way, way too much to watch his response. It's probably wrong. But still.

Ha. Found this over here at mental_floss:
If British TV shows are so darned great, why do U.S. producers insist upon remaking them instead of showing the originals? There are plenty of reasons! For one thing, the shows make reference to political situations, local celebrities and places that are unknown to most Americans, so a lot of the jokes would fall flat.
Right. So all the other countries in the world watching British tv shows who manage to understand it have magical powers, do they? Maybe I'm just mean, but it sounds supiciously like a justification of ignorance to me. After all, the inverse is true as well, the rest of the world manages to watch US shows and graps the references to politics, celebritites and unknown places, and if they don't, they learn something new. But no, god forbid we actually make people think about something.

Photo for the day -
Photobucket
The sky I was staring at as introductory scene alluded to.

I'm having such severe Whoniverse withdrawal. I'm itching for some new stuff. It's directly related to how much time I've been spending on youtube, watching anything and everything I can even remotely link to it. It's really quite sad. At least I know for sure UKTV will be screening Children of Earth...I just really, really hope it won't be too long after it screens in the UK/US.

Ah crap. It's my dad's birthday on Friday, I better get him something.

Take me, take me, back to your bed. I love you so much that it hurts my head. Say I don't mind you under my skin, I'll let the bad parts in, the bad parts in. Well when we were made we were set apart. But life is a test and I get bad marks. Now some saint's got the job of writing down my sins. The storm is coming, the storm is coming in.

Music: Degausser - Brand New
Mood: Distracted
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment