Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Moonlight kisses seem to fade in the warmth of the sun

First things first, Abs got her visa! Yay! Not that I doubted it for a second, mind. So she will be here in three weeks and two days. I'm compiling a list of everything that could possibly be done in that time...do you want to go to Canberra?

I bought that leather jacket. The whole process behind it was one of those "hilarity ensued" moments. At first the guy who helped me (uber nice guy it must be said) said they didn't have a 12, so he went around ringing a variety of stores around the greater sydney area that the computer said had 12s in size, but of course none of them actually did. Eventually one of the girls walked past and went "oh there's one upstairs." After all that! He was like *facepalm* It was very amusing. So after the drama I felt somewhat obligated to purchase it. It also fits like a dream. Bit shorter than I normally buy my jackets but the sleeves are perfect. I've been looking for a leather jacket for years now. Time to take action!

This is what happens when they let me out of class early. I spend money.

Library workshop was ok, in general. Rehashed a lot of what I already knew, research has never been something I've had problems with. I was quite disturbed that almost no one in class knew what a RSS feed was, let alone how to use one. We spent the whole second half of the lesson (which only went for two hours) going over igoogle and google reader, all of which I've already been using. Eventually I was to be found shouting instructions across the lab and telling people where to click, "No the arrow, the little arrow! No, on the side! Yes. Now, down the bottom there should be unshare. What do you mean no? It's there, I can see it. It has the RSS symbol...the RSS symbol! Yes, the orange thing." I felt quite smug. Sure, I may not have intimate recall of theory at the drop of a hat, but I know my way around any search engine and RSS feed, thank you very much. And ok, so I use google reader for blogs mostly, but I still know how to use it. My iGoogle homepage is the very picture of functionality. And it's Torchwood themed. So, there. What good is your theory now? And so forth.

Yes. I am a bad person.

I don't know why I'm still awake to be honest. Mum had to work late tonight to do...something, I don't know, it involved servers, so I went to dinner with her and some collegues. Really excellent Italian place. Really. Great lasagne, great tiramisu. Hmm. Red wine was consumed. I was feeling quite merry and decided to put on Phantom of the Opera. As you do (I don't know, I'm nuts.) I have so much love for that, it's bizarre. Even though I spend the entire thing giving a running commentary on "where everything went horribly wrong".

Oh right, homework. I have narrowed down things that have influenced/inspired me to Romeo & Juliet (especially the dream scene between Romeo and Mercutio which I adore, "Oh then I see Queen Mab has been with you...") and Life of Pi. But, after consideration, I realised that Arms and the man by George Bernard Shaw predated pretty much everything and so it would probably have to take the title. Satire ftw. You don't have to pompous and self involved to be clever. It is witty and entertaining while offering a clear criticism on social conventions, perceptions of romance, and war. I've always appreciated the way it doesn't take itself seriously, while still addressing serious issues. Also, Shaw got me onto JM Barrie and Oscar Wilde (the latter made an earlier longer list of possible texts). I read this play when I must have been 10, as my mother recommended it, and since then iveread it many times over. Our copy is actually falling apart since both mum and I have so thoroughly worked it over. I can ramble about it for 5 minutes if I have to, so what the hell, it can have the dubious honour of being my text of choice.

There is something wrong with Jasper's trackball. Its tilting to an odd angle and doesn't want to scroll to the left. You have to last me another year Jasper, don't be difficult!

Speaking of, broke Beckettoo's earphones today. Woe. It all happened because I missed my train. I walked to the station and arrived just as the train pulled away. Mistimed by like two minutes! Epic fail. Anyway, I had to wait 10 minutes for the next one, so I sat down, and so, unbeknownst to me as I was too busy paging through an IKEA catalogue, the earphones got tangled in the bench. When the train eventually arrived and I got up, the earphones stayed behind. I was chillaxing listening to Glasvegas too, so I was not amused having to spend the journey (and walk to uni) in silence. Although it did give me time to appreciate these buskers who have recently taken up residency in the tunnel. I've seen them the last three weeks or so, and they're quite good. Guitar and percussion. Kinda folky...but not. They remind me of someone but I can't quite put my finger on it. Also, complete stroke of luck, ambling aimlessly around the uni library (this being the first time I've really set foot in it beyond the ground floor), I had no idea where I was meant to be going but I actually ended up where class was. I was amazed. Wasn't even late either, even after missing the train. Discovered uni had plasma screens set up around the library, showing ET (entertainment tonight, not the alien). Slightly worried for the future if what gave us Ryan Seacrest is considered a good academic influence. I really hope channel hopping is an option.

There is an open lecture on storytelling and the graphic novel being given tomorrow (well, later today really) after my Cultural Studies seminar. I think I might go check it out, it sounds quite interesting. They also have a Welsh professor in as a guest... Its not like I have anything better to do with my Thursday night. An hour sitting in a room or an hour in front of the tv *weighs up hands* I'm afraid a Welsh accent in person wins out...wait, what?

Oh, how I ramble.

Sleep? What is this thing you speak of?

Music: When I fall in love - Frank Sinatra
Mood: Merry
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Canberra? Bring it on!!!

    OMGGGGGGGGG I can't wait...

    ReplyDelete