Monday, March 23, 2009

I won't let you on my stage

Sydney has really gone gangster lately. Must be the popularity of 'Underworld' that has spurred it into action, not wanting to get left behind by Melbourne. Or whatever. Seriously, biker wars in the domestic airport, drive-by shootings...even the sharks are in on the action. Ok, that just reminded me of this cartoon that used to be on when I was little that was set under the sea and the sharks were gangsters. I wasn't particularly fond of it so I can't remember the specifics, but it seems apt.

I didn't get anything done today. I've never been this busy at the surgery before. Never. We saw almost double the amount of people we would on what I would normally deem to be a busy day. It's crazy. I don't know what the hell is going on. Of course it happens when I'm already resembling a zombie. Only got about four hours sleep last night, my insomnia always comes along at the perfect time. Kept having mental blanks and muttering at the printer, which was purposely defying me all day. It's a personal vendetta, I swear! Everything thus leads to my being thoroughly exhausted. It feels like there are ants crawling around behind my eyelids. I am this close to throwing it all out and crawling into the fetal position on the couch with trusty Torchwood to protect me.

I didn't even have time to do any uni readings at work! Bah. Yet again woefully underpepared. We have a guest lecturer coming in. I might ambush her into being my honours supervisor. I'll ask anyway, can't hurt. My search for one continues to go poorly. It's not helped by the fact that all the elegible staff appear to be on leave for the spring semester. Fat lot of good you are. I wouldn't have this problem if half the creative writing staff were not casuals and thus not elegible. Siiiigh.

I need to take in something that blurs the boundary between fiction and autobiography *strokes beard* I've got this Jeanette Winterson book that's apt but I studied it in Genre Fiction and I'm beginning to think they think I am incapable of bringing in anything original. But I'm busy, I'm sorry. I can't spend twenty hours a day trawling through databases looking for texts and then going out reading said texts. I have to make do with what I have. Also, it's meant to be contemporary, as in the last four years. I cannot think of anything. Grr.

I am looking at alternative theory though. That's something at least. Found a great article last night linking a bunch of sources that relate to the space/place work we're doing in Cultural Studies as well as the interactive fiction of the Writing Workshop. Currently reading Walter Benjamin. Afterwards I better check what the other girls have posted. Pretentious art stuff no doubt. It's weird to feel odd about taking in novels for discussion to a writing class but everyone else is always bringing in language poetry or sound projects. Then there's me with Don DeLillo or Tristram Shandy. Tristram kicked serious ass last week though. I knew he would.

Anyway. Enough uni rambling. I shouldn't subject the world to my suffering. I like getting it down though, getting some out of it out of my head. It helps lower the stress levels a little.

I want to go see Let the right one in, by the looks of things there's only one cinema in town playing it. Weird, but ok. Also want to go see 'Travesties' at the Theatre Company. Add this to Em's desire to attend 'The Nutcracker' ballet and hey, we're being down right cultural.

Unreal City,
Under the brown fog of a winter dawn,
A crowd flowed over London Bridge, so many,
I had not thought death had undone so many.
Sighs, short and infrequent, were exhaled,
And each man fixed his eyes before his feet

Music: Ugly Side - Blue October
Mood: Working
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment