Thursday, March 19, 2009

If I've learned anything from this, it would all be gone

Oh, did I have a fantastic fangirl moment in class today! We were reading poetry someone brought in as their inspirational text, and there was continuous reference to Odysseus and Philoctetes. It was then mentioned that while they knew Odysseus, they weren't sure who the other was. I could then of course interject with the relevant information. And why? Because it's in 'Greeks Bearing Gifts' of course! It was such a triumphant moment.

You ever heard of Philoctetes? It came up in a pub quiz.
You went to a pub quiz?
Yeah. No, I love pub quizzes. Down at the Prince of, Tides.

Don't anyone ever tell me copious rewatching is bad for you. I've never met a fandom that didn't contribute to my greater education. Fact. Never underestimate anything.

After class, I meandered off to the comic lecture. It was very interesting. I especially appreciated the ramble on the notion of 'fanboy', as it is clearly something I can identify with. Also the insane OCD and collective drive that fuels these things. I might not be into comic books, but I understand the sentiment only too well. Especially when one of the panelists started talking about how identity becomes invested in the object and then when it's altered, or goes "mainstream", you end up feeling a bit betrayed because you are so invested. Totally understand that. I think anyone who's ever really been into something can identify with that moment where you felt so dejected and torn. Usually your greater love for the thing overcomes this though and you continue on, grumbling about it, but still. So yes. I'm glad I went, it was quite informative in terms of the different elements used to tell a story and just the various options available even in the 'graphic novel' form. I feel like taking up the cause now and studying more graphic novels, especially in my writing classes more geared towards experimental writing. I don't think there was a single other writing student in attendance though, which is a shame. Kind of feels like it's continuing that stereotype that its lowbrow, and many students get wrapped up in these grand notions of literature. But of course, I can't really say that cause well, I don't want to generalise and I'm not hundred percent sure who studies what. I sometimes just feel like people miss out on so much just because they have these preconceived notions about what is academic or worthwhile, and what isn't. Maybe it's post-modern of me, but I like to think everything is worthwhile depending on your perspective. I might not like something or get it, but I'll never put it down or write it off because of it, to someone else it might be genius *shrugs*

God my father is in one of his annoying moods. He can be such.hard.work.

I wore my leather jacket today. It was far too hot, but still, completely worth it. Now I have two jackets I am completely in love with.

Ironically, of course, I'm actually cold now. Dreaded aircon is on.

I have the urge to watch Beauty and the Beast. Perhaps I should act on it.

This is comforting:
Photobucket

Music: Where the city meets the sea - The Getaway Plan
Mood: Accomplished
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. It's all valid. It doesn't have to be war and peace to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete