Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Now I get what I want

Ok I think I can get into this Castle show, it's quite amusing. It reminds me a bit of Californication if you replace the sex and dysfunction with murder. Wait. That sounded wrong.

Remind me to go to Supanova this year. It's the only real convention we have around here and it's worth just putting in an appearance to for once not feel like the geekiest person on the planet. Although last night I found out Face from the A-Team is going to be there. It completely cracked me up, I do believe I flailed at my mother. He was also Starbuck in the original Battlestar Galactica, who is of course a girl in the new series. I actually read something interesting on that while doing research for my cyberspace presentation. In an essay [Write something on my wall: Body, Identity and Poetry by Kazim Ali], the argument opens with a parallel between the old and new Starbuck, to illustrate how body is like a signature. Anyway, it goes on to the following - "One's second thought was to look back at the original Starbuck character and asks was the sexual tension between Apollo and Starbuck always there? If you look at those old episodes, you will agree that it was." And in there somewhere is a commentary on why sci-fi spawned slash. I love the concluding remark on that paragraph though - "The past writes the present, but the present always returns the favour." I have an appreciation for cyclical arguments.

In other news, our phone number here appears to have been used by a variety of business before being allocated to us. People keep ringing for print cartridge refills and tree removals (apparantly, it's in the yellow pages for that one). The best part is when I explain to people that this is now a residential number and they still ask me if I know who could help them or if I could offer any advice *shakes head* I also have a feeling the owner is some sort of conman and keep expecting the Mafia to show up, asking for the pretzel money. Then again I do have an overactive imagination and spent years convinced the people across the road were dealing drugs (it turned out they were music teachers). My way of looking at the world is far more interesting.

The only other pressing concerns I have at this moment is the fact that I can't breathe if I lean forward and that I appear to be having random heart palpatations. As I mused on twitter, I'm too young to have a heart attack, right?

Speaking of Twitter, the police are on it! How freaking random is that? It started as a hoax but then they thought it was a good idea. Oh, technology, you weird thing.

Now, random photos:

- This is what I meant by "hill in the backyard"
Photobucket

- This be my room.
Photobucket

- I need to get something up above the bed. Thinking of those big photoframes that has all different sized slots on the inside. That's a fail description, I know. Something black and white, at any rate. I'm getting a canvas printed of one of my Paris pics to put up on the wall joining my study and my bedroom.
Photobucket

- This be my study, it's a bit dark from this angle. The Saxon Green (hee!) is way brighter than that.
Photobucket

- And the other angle. Look, I have room for more books and dvds! It makes a nice change. Also look at the epic amounts of uni work strew about. Sigh.
Photobucket

- Finally, here's Oreo. It's blurry, because as everyone who's ever tried knows, she hates photos. Photobucket

The only things that I still really need to do is organise the right side of my wardrobe, get the full length mirror and new desk chair from IKEA, print new photos and the canvas piece, and paint the bathroom. Oh and find out what that weird fucking smell is that I can't seem to get rid of in any permanent way. It's gross.

Grrr. My parents are constantly bickering and arguing and it's driving me bloody insane. I can't work under these conditions!

Where did I put that iPod...

[I have concocted such a bizarre "study" playlist, I've updated it on here too]

Music: Since you been gone - Kelly Clarkson
Mood: Working
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. dude! Your house looks freaking sweet! Seriously! I can't wait to see it properly.

    When is Supernova on? Can we go together? I'll talk to work about getting the day off even!

    I just glanced at your playlist and OMG WHO ARE TEGAN AND SARA??? A few weeks ago I had a lady buying Catcher in the Rye for her daughter but was perplexed why she would want it. So I asked what music the daughter listened to and the lady replied with Tegan and Sara. I have *never* heard of them and to me their name reminds me of Hi Five or another band for pre-teens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supanova is June 26-28.

    You must have heard of Tegan and Sara, surely? They're quite popular in the indie circle, with people like Jack White being fans. They're Canadian, identitical twins. They had a single that got some airplay on V about four or so years ago...actually it was 'Walking with the Ghost'. White Stripes covered it, if I recall correctly. But yeah, totally indie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tegan and Sara have been boo-ed off a number of stages and eaten alive by fans of noisier music. I think I saw them open for Weezer once but I was so drunk that I'm not sure. I hear good things though from people who like stuff like Belle And Sebastian.

    I loveth the new room and the Sazxon green... oh and the picture of the little mountain goat... yodelay yodelay yodelay hee-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I think you really have to be into that kind of music.

    ReplyDelete