Saturday, May 30, 2009

Fugitive of critical mass

"You see this? This is a fucking expensive dress. Do you know what we do with expensive dresses? We don't close them in the fucking door! And what are you doing in my closet in the first place????"

My continued existence is questionable. I am either going to commit homicide and be locked up (which would significantly lower my chance of survival cause I can't think of anything worse), or I am going to spontaneously combust and leave, as the Spinal Tap boys would say, a stain in my wake.

Nigel: He exploded on stage.
Derek: Just like that.
David: He just went up.
Nigel: He just was like a flash of green light... and that was it. Nothing was left...There was a little green globule on his drum seat...It was more of a stain than a globule, actually.

I didn't sleep last night. Well, I slept maybe an hour or so. So had more of a nap really. I wasn't tired at all. Of course the nap ruined it and I had to struggle out of bed this morning. I often think that instead of trying to force normality onto my insane sleep patterns, I should just push through and pull an all nighter. I think I might be better off. I'm not tired now either. Buzzing. It's almost like jetlag but without the sick feeling. One good thing about not sleeping though, around 1.30ish they released a new TW trailer for BBCA. Update came through while I was on twitter so I got straight on it. It looks so, so amazing. That bit where Gwen does the video actually made me shiver a little - it just reminds me of the Miranda thing in Serenity.

However, back on point, this all really comes down to a simple principle - either my fandom kills me first, or I'm going to kill my father.

Here now follows rambling regarding the majority shareholders of my soul.

I'm forming an attatchment to 21st Century Breakdown. I've been listening to it on my drive to work. It's like mashing Warning and American Idiot together. There's a vibe here that recalls the way I feel about the last two Living End albums, but there's something about Green Day that's just so quintessentially them, you can recognise it anywhere. It will always trigger a certain reaction for me, I can't help it. It's as if it's coded into my DNA. I love that they're still doing this sort of medley thing with songs, the change on the first (well, second technically) track totally won me over. I wasn't too keen on 'Know your enemy' when I first heard the single (or saw the video rather), but it's grown on me. I'm also partial to 'Before the Lobotomy'. 'Christian's Inferno' reminds me of something, I don't know what. It's almost like listening to the Pistols. 'Last Night on Earth' on the other hand reminds me of the Beatles only because it recalls "I'll send all my loving to you" lyrically. In one line, but still! It's a valid point. You know in the Simpsons, whenever Homer isn't paying attention, he hears this circus-type music playing in his head? Well, in those situations, what I hear is the riff from 'East Jesus Nowhere'. It just took this album to make me realise that. I think this song is AI consequential. It's one of those that make me straighten up and march around like I own the place, thinking "C'mon, start a fight, I dare you." So yes. I looove it. I also love 'Peacemaker'. I'm just partial to this style - 'Misery', 'Hitchin' a ride' and 'Last ride in' are all favourites and they all channel the same vibe. 'Viva La Gloria? [Little Girl]' sort of reminded me of 'Mama' (which was one of my favourite Black Parade tracks from the start) when I first heard it. Only without the theatrics and Liza Minelli. But I suppose it ties in with what I said before about being partial to this sort of style. Little girl, little girl, you're such a liar. You're just a junkie preaching to the choir. I think that one's going to inspire much love in the future. Judgement is still out on 'Restless Heart Syndrome'. The first line makes it seem as if Billie's songwriting skills were taking a break. It jars and puts me off centre. It is just the first verse really, so I might still get over that. When I first listened to the album, the Horseshoes and Handgrenades section was my favourite. I love the title track, and 'The Static Age' has one of those easy choruses that you pick up in seconds. '21 Guns' is my standout. It's the one that clicked from the first listen and I think it's going to be the one that defines the album for me [like She, Walking Contradiction, Haushinka, Macy's Day Parade and Letterbomb before it.] The medley thing (there must be an actual name for this) puts in another appearance in 'American Eulogy' in which I favour the second part. Mike! Hee! It reminds me of 'Homecoming' because I am ridiculously fond of Tre's part in that and would often sit through the whole thing just to get to it and act like a loon. Not that the whole song isn't amazing, but you know *shrugs* Although there are no epically long songs on this album, so it's not really an issue. It is quite long though, coming in at 18 tracks. That's not really something you see all that much of these days. Then again, you don't see bands taking 5 years to record an album anymore either.

All this is well and good, but considering that I would follow this band off a cliff probably taints my judgement somewhat. The fact of the matter is simply that I still completely adore these boys. I worship at the altar of Billie Joe and co, I have been for years and probably will forever. And you know what, they're damn good at what they do, and they make me happy. That's all that matters.

Music: Last of the American Girls - Green Day
Mood: Annoyed
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Watched the trailer... cold shivvers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it freaking fantastic? Eeee. With James Moran saying that the trailer has nothing on the actual episodes, it's enough to up my anticipation to a critical level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least you know it's coming in July now. And the world can't end cos it's around millions of years later according to Doctor Who. Does look good, though aren't you worried it's the end of the show? I mean they don't seem to be bringing anyone new in and it's only a mini series instead of full season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the American airdate, we've known that for ages. We're just waiting to hear if the BBC are sticking with the originally planned June or whether they're still keen on doing a simulcast. Daaaamn them. And yes, of course I'm worried. I'm fucking terrified. John and Gareth have both noted in a recent interview that it ends in a way that could mean it's the end of the show. I think the BBC are just keeping their options open. See how this one does on 1, before deciding whether to continue or not. Jesus, can you imagine if they cancelled it? I'd drive you all insane. Even more than I already am!

    ReplyDelete