Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Do we imitate all we love to hate

I slept through my alarm this morning and so spent the day in a sloth haze. My problem really is that my creative drive seems to kick in around 6 or later. It's highly impractical. If I could I'd just stay up all night and sleep during the day, I'm sure I'd get stuff done. Downside is of course nothing would be open so if I did need to venture out into the real word (shock horror), I'd be foiled. Oh well. I'm heading to the library tomorrow. Better late than never I suppose.

I've added in bits to my original draft, and also finished the re-write except for external bits - it's way longer than the original so I don't know if it's viable as a thesis submission. I'm getting antsy about my time constraints and the fact that I have no real idea about limitations or expectations for this thesis. Um, organisation fail? Also, I really can't be bothered editing my piece. Sigh.

Meanwhile, I think I've sorted out my postgrad woes. If I get in at USyd, I'll study part-time over two years and make sure I only have the exchange subject to do in the final semester. Problem solved. I've also applied for a one year writing work experience position, so that would fill in time nicely. I'm applying for an editorial assistant position as well, but I'm not getting my hopes up there.

I was listening to Folie a deux yesterday and was reminded of the time Abbi and I related all the tracks to Torchwood. It's been awhile since I've listened to the album and the thought of Torchwood these days generally makes me feel ill, so it was an absolutely gorgeous moment to give the album a spin and have those fuzzy, happy memories that have eluded me these past few months. Saving grace.

On the topic of music, I suggest everyone watch this gig video taken by the fabulous Abbi as it totally made my morning. Then listen to Vivarium, it is made of awesome. Scottish bands FTW.

Actually it's been new album nirvana around here lately, with both Daisy and The resistance getting a good workout. Today also marks the release of the new Kill Hannah album, and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my pre-order from the US. Good times.

Now I suppose if I do my editing, I can fit in another episode of Big Bang Theory before bed. Sheldon Cooper helps to ease the pain.

"The social sciences are largely hokum"

Music: You're turning into John Wayne - Twin Atlantic
Mood: I am trying to work, I swear
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Imagine Glaswegian accent: Do you know what, fuck your peer pressure. I will not be forced into any scenario I don't want to!

    God I love that boy!!!!

    Do you know I was thinking about "Torchwood: The Musical" just the other day. I swear it could work. Enron: The Musical is getting rave reviews, so I mean anything goes!

    Oh and yay for USyd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee!

    They pretty much nailed the idea of a Torchwood Musical into a lead-lined coffin at comic con this year because they are clearly no fun. They said it wasn't the right tone for the show. Um, yeah, whatever. Maybe not now that you've killed off 3/4 of the characters and left the others emotionally scarred, but before when it was fun and camp it was *totally* the tone of the show. Don't think I've forgotten! You're Jedi mind tricks don't work on me, TBTB. Besides John needs very little encouragement to spontaneously break into song.

    I had a look at the USyd exchange program on Tuesday and got a handle on all the paperwork, it looks quite promising. Provided I get permission here, and a supervisor over there. They've got quite a few postgrad options, and I'm not really fussed where I end up, as long as it's somewhere in the UK. Obviously, I'd prefer London, but as long as I get to go, I'm not going to complain. So here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How good is Viviarium by the way? It's not even like a case of liking most of the songs and then loving one or two. I LOVE every single one of them and they just get better with every listen. Am doing my best when singing along NOT to put on my own very questionable Glaswegian accent.

    Anywhere in the UK would work, it's so travelable by train... most places are reachable in like 4 hours max!

    ReplyDelete