Monday, September 7, 2009

Stealing hearts and cursing under breaths

Playlist du jour, in honour of August, last month of winter and the bringer of chaos. A choice as random as the events the month dished up. I dub thee, 'Last Breath'.

> Mona Lisa, The All American Rejects - It's just such a gorgeous sweet little acoustic song, I can't help but fall a bit in love with it.

> On and on and on, Wilco - Perfect for those dreary winter days that seemed to go forever, it has such a tone of resignation here. I suppose there's a morbid sense of optimism, but to me it has always been more of that "let's run, don't look back" type of things.

> Say I won’t (recognize), The Gaslight Anthem - I am so glad I got into this band when one of the music editors I follow started going on about them back in February. They've just got that amazing ability to walk the line between punk and garage rock and it's brilliant. "So come on before we get much older, and that can happen any one of these nights."

> Uprising, Muse - It's a new Muse song. I feel no other explanation is required.

> Into the ocean, Blue October - One of those songs I'm obsessed with, and have been for ages, and yet can't really understand why. Now holds a special place since it doubled as one of my writing prompts when I was still being half-way organised with that.

> She's a genius, Jet - Being a good aussie teenager, I enjoyed Jet's first album and danced to it at my Year 12 formal just like everyone else. The second one was lacklustre and I think we all kind of assumed they would fade into obscurity. Then I caught this while channel hopping the other day and I'm willing to reconsider. Reminiscent of 'Are you gonna be my girl?', I can get into this.

> Punk Rock Princess, Something Corporate - Genius included this on a playlist the other day and I nearly jumped out of my skin with sheer joy. I had completely forgotten about this song. I loved it in High School and played it incessantly while studying for my exams. Still love it just as much now.

> Tranquilize, The Killers feat Lou Reid - Off the b-side collection Sawdust I’ve always adored this song with a passion. Something about it just agrees with me, and it’s such an odd song to really do that. But still, I love it. Silently reflection turns my world to stone, Patiently correction leaves us all alone, And sometimes I'm a travel man, But tonight this engine's failing.

> Is there a ghost? Band of Horses - As is the case of Wilco as mentioned before, I turn to these indie bands on days when the sun isn't warm enough, the wind is too loud, and I'm far too lethargic to do anything other than play thousands of games of Free Cell and Chess while pondering the meaning of life (or rather the extent of my procrastination).

> Howl, Florence + the Machine - I'm fast developing a healthy appreciation for this.

> Crystalised, The xx - Slow building indie electro. Speaking of, I’m tired of people not getting my Boosh references. Like when an Empire of the Sun video is playing so I of course have to quip “They’re looking for the new sound!” and only receive blank stares. Fail. Sigh.

> Firecracker, Voxtrot - I don't really know what the deal is with this. I was listening to it while compiling the playlist and thought what the hey, let's include it.

> It’s my own cheating heart that makes me cry, Glasvegas - There’s always a Glasvegas song on rotation at some point or another. I think I have a bit of a Glaswegian band fetish.

> I cut like a buffalo, The Dead Weather - Technically a supergroup compromised of Jack White, Alison Mosshart (The Kills), Dean Fertita (Queens of the Stone Age) and Jack Lawrence (The Greenhorns, The Raconteurs). I've waded through a lot of hype around this project for the last month or so, it seemed only right to include one of their songs on the playlist.

> Silence is distance, Yves Klein Blue - POLKA WILL NEVER DIE! Sorry, Harry Dresden reference. I must admit, I love this band, ever since I accidentally stumbled upon them. They've got that indie, gypsy, polka thing happening and they're just so convincing considering they're so stupidly young (I think they are, anyway.)

> The end of the world, Kate Miller-Heidke - I'll be honest and say I never considered myself to be a Kate Miller-Heidke fan, I found very little to like about her previous album and was quite preplexed about the amount of press she was generating. I remained relatively unaware of her until this song soundtracked a Neighbours ad that ran on Channel 10 for what felt like a very long time. It's so slow and dramatic and over-emotional, I found myself reacting to it without even really paying attention. It reminds me of every sad thing I've ever watched, mostly Whoniverse related for I am a loser. She performed it live on Rove last night and I was very impressed with the performance, very captivating and controlled. So I bought the damn song. Are you happy now, Channel 10?


MusicPlaylist
MySpace Music Playlist at MixPod.com


Music: Do it for me now - Angels & Airwaves
Mood: Sleepy
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment