Saturday, September 12, 2009

Old age is just around the bend

With a little luck, I will be accepted to do my Masters degree at UTS next year. It's a two year full time course. In the final semester of the degree, should I be approved again with a little luck, I can go on exchange. I can select up to five countries when I submit my proposal so, as uni-inspired procrastination, I'm looking at the partnership universities on offer.

> United Kingdom: Loughborough University, Manchester Metropolitan University, University for the Creative Arts.
> Ireland: Dublin City University
> France: Université Paris Dauphine
> Canada: University of Ottowa
> US: Oh there's so many here, including the University of Hawaii. People study in Hawaii? But it's holiday central! Where does the motivation come from? I'm not going to lie, my main motivation in this is to study in Europe so these are merely making up numbers.

There are also a few universities in Switzerland, Germany and one in Italy, but god knows I'd have to take language classes since it's been years and my skills are rusty. I could always go to Amsterdam, at least I can understand them. I could get a bike and be one of the suicidial riders instead of dodging them... *ponders*

Either way, all this is inducing some major woe on my part as I'm now thoroughly convinced that I will fail Honours and thereby won't be accepted into Masters, ruining whatever little plans I had for my future. I could live with not being accepted for exchange even though I've always wanted to study abroad, but I could not live with not being able to study further. I have nothing else *breathes into paper bag*

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

[Macbeth, Act 5.5]

-- Edit 9:05: I've just discovered Macquarie offers a 1 year Master of Arts in English Literature. Would it be terribly stupid of me to do two Masters degrees? I want both! Ugh. The government are going to take out a restraining order against me, "Stop studying! You're bankrupting the country!"

Music: The sound of settling - Death Cab for Cutie
Mood: Confused
Photobucket

2 comments: