Saturday, September 26, 2009

Time is running out

I've been meaning to mention this but I keep getting distracted. Why are people so surprised/outraged by the artists the Twilight franchise manages to pull in for its soundtracks? I keep seeing complaints about "selling out" all over the place thanks to the high cred/indie status of the New Moon soundtrack. If you haven't seen it, it reads:

Death Cab For Cutie - Meet Me On The Equinox
Band Of Skulls - Friends
Thom Yorke - Hearing Damage
Lykke Li - Possibility
The Killers - A White Demon Love Song
Anya Marina - Satellite Heart
Muse - I Belong To You (New Moon Remix)
Bon Iver and St. Vincent - Rosyln
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Done All Wrong
Hurricane Bells - Monsters
Sea Wolf - The Violet Hour
Ok Go - Shooting The Moon
Grizzly Bear (Feat. Victoria Legrand) - Slow Life
Editors - No Sound But The Wind
Alexandre Desplat - New Moon (The Meadow)

This to me seems entirely natural, and I don't think the bands are selling out by lending their songs to the franchise either. The simple fact of the matter is, the franchise would never have existed without these artists/artists like them. I do not for one single minute believe 'Twilight' would read the same if Stephenie Meyer wasn't a huge Muse/Radiohead fan. Once you've made that connection, and looked at the playlists she posted while writing the books, you can clearly see the inspiration. Personally, that's something I've always loved about the franchise. I mean she even thanks the bands that have inspired her in the 'New Moon' acknowledgements. People think it's selling out for bands to allow their music to appear in these films? I think it's giving credit where credit is due.

Music: The Hollow Earth - Thom Yorke
Mood: Bored
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment