Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dance to the rhythm and die young

Jack has been resurrected in better shape than ever. He is now a new old car, pretty much everything has now been replaced. He's a little bit old, a little bit new, and has been brought back from death. I named him well. I have to say it was a rather joyous reunion. I absolutely love driving Martha around, especially since she has all the possible comforts I could want and I've gotten used to the controls on the steering wheel. People actually take me seriously with her, I'm considered a responsible adult. Jack is...unrefined. He's not a bad looking car and I've got absolutely killer rims on him, but he's still an old model and it's not really a car that screams sophistication or anything like that. Yet I am SO glad to have him back. I don't have to be precious with him, I don't have to feel nervous about where I leave him or how I drive him. He's got battle scars that predate my ownership and so it's ok to be a bit rough, it's not the end of the world.

Now that they've fixed everything, he drives beautifully. Better than he ever has. He doesn't rattle like the world is ending when I'm stopped at the lights and the engine is quiet. I don't know why I didn't do this earlier. I just have to get used to the lack of power steering again. That I'm going to miss. I am now however broke for the forseeable future. I missed The Used pre-sale yesterday cause I had to clean out my accounts. This year is a saving nightmare, no matter how much I try to save for travelling, something keeps coming up. Ah well, we'll get there in the end.

I visited the ever fabulous Ms Roze and her perfect new haircut at work today. Fandom, it demands to be indulged. Plans were made. I've got quite a busy week next week. I revel in the socialness but my uni brain is weeping at my flippant approach to time. I wish my uni brain wouldn't be such a nag.

Another Mat Devine Agony Uncle post, another noteable piece of advice. Conquering your fears 101:
Listen, I’m giving you homework: Go to the nearest pool. dive in, pull up that dumb robot, slap it around and repeat after me: ‘I believe introductions are in order. My name is Elias. I am a human being. I am the top of the fucking food chain, I am a marvel of evolution, engineered to conquer the earth, the sea, and the moon. what are you? Some punk ass robot. That’s all. I am your god. I am your maker. Remember this face. You so much as let out an air bubble when I’m near this pool again, I will come down on you like a storm! LIKE A STORM!”
Also, in the meantime you can try swimming in cenotes in Mexico, like I did last year. No pool cleaning robots there, just snakes and violent monkeys and shit. You know, rational fears

I think I say this every week but still, I love this man.

Last week someone actually mentioned Bourdieu in a comment. That dude is rivalling Marx and Freud in repetetive mentioning in uni readings and then unceremoniously appearing in my everyday life and never leaving me alone. I kind of love that Mat has these existential and philosophical debates with people and that his fans themselves go on to talk about it. It's a whole different plane to the one the bands I usually like operate on.

I was going to put up some pics of the new room but I can't seem to take a decent one. This, however, is the view from my window.

Photobucket

Now, on the topic of pictures, anyone see the new photos from the Hubble Telescope? Astronomy was my first obsession, way back when I was 6. So gorgeous.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Between an immensity of land and an immensity of sky they sat there, incomprehensible, smiling at a continent.

Music: New York City Speed - Kill Hannah
Mood: Should really be working
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. i saw those pics from hubble, freaking amazing
    i'm heaps into astronomy aswell, wanted to be an astronomer...once

    sorry, just randomly fell upon your blog and liked
    and im new to this and have no idea what i'm doing =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well welcome to the madness then. I find randomly stumbling onto things is what it's all about really :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She means literally and figuratively stumbling... um... kidding :P

    Love the new garden by the way!

    ReplyDelete