Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Some rules are made with all intention to break

And she defends it with a warped rationale

Sitting in the State library with Miss Roze at my side. We've just returned from a quick lunch and now I must muster up the will to continue working, which clearly isn't going too well. There is a man on Roze's other side picking his nose like the world is ending. It is a gross display that has to be seen to be believed.I'm getting odd looks from the girl in front of me, I think because my typing is annoying her. Well...tough. I'm here to write and therefore I need this wonderful machine. Take it up with scientists, if they could invent something to hook up to my brain, it would save us all a lot of grief.But I digress.

I don't think this re-write of my creative piece is working. If it is the father that dies now, rather than in the past, it completely changes not only my protagonist's motivations but all the events that have shaped her into the character she is. A lot of things wouldn't have happened, her mother's character wouldn't be the same, and I don't know if I can merely gloss over these deeper concerns with superficial changes to the written story itself. She would sound different, be different, react differently. I don't really feel I have enough time to flesh out a whole new character and tacking a different story on existing characters just because they're already there and ready to go feels cheap. So yes, I'm feeling decidedly uncomfortable in proceeding with this re-write. I'll give it a shot I suppose, see what others think, but I doubt it's working.

Music: Jesse Lacey singing in my head, which is quite nice
Mood: Working
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Whoa... that's a completely different story. That means you have to start again from absolute scratch... is this what the lecturer suggested?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah she said it might make a more interesting story but she hadn't read the piece with the external media in. It has more drama, more will it wont it, I suppose, but I can't really be bothered starting from scratch. At the moment I'm changing and copying and pasting as I go, which is admittedly not the best way to go about. Raaaawr.

    ReplyDelete