Tuesday, August 4, 2009

You'd look finer with each day in hiding

There are two types of band that I find really hard to resist - the broody, introspective, angsty kind and the really clever kind. By angsty I don't mean emo "oh my girlfriend left me", Simple Plan angst (not that there's anything wrong with that), but more along the lines of Bright Eyes or even Blue October. As for the clever bands, I refer to bands like Forgive Durden that are just these lyrical, melodic forces of nature entrenched in curious word choices and references. For me, Say Anything has always been a bit of both. Max Bemis is alternately tongue in cheek and yet it's still quite heavy. 'Alive with the glory of love' for example can sometimes really break you down, where before it seemed quite joyful. The ability to capture a range of emotions in a way that is both thoughtful and often unexpected is what really makes a song count. And stick around. I mean I love a bit of pop music every now and then, but after exhaustively listening to it for the first week, it tends to fade back into obscurity.

Should they catch us and dispatch us to those separate work camps,
I'll dream about you. I will not doubt you with the passing of time
Should they kill me, your love will fill me as warm as the bullets,
I'll know my purpose. this war was worth this. I won't let you down,
No I won't...

On the topic of music, The Gaslight Anthem won best international newcomer at this year's Kerrang awards which is quite cool. Such a great band, really drawing on that classic old school garage rock sound but somehow rougher around the edges. I have been obsessed with 'Great Expectations' for the past two months.

Today's best random quote undoubtably goes to George from Being Human - "We're like the world's gayest ninjas!" That entire scene was made of win. The conversation with the chaplain comes in a close second though.
George: You're very sarcastic for a vicar
Chaplain: Yeah, so people tell me and I feel really bad about it but then, you know, I forgive myself.

Now enough muttering to myself, focus!

Music: Alive with the glory of love - Say Anything
Mood: Cold
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment