Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Yesterday just took me hostage

Could someone explain to me what the deal is with Tumblr? I don't quite get it...and I hate not getting things. Especially interwebz related things. And music related things. And book related things. And...oh who am I kidding, I'm a sponge.

Abs introduced me to My Life Is Average today, cause yes, I needed another avenue of procrastination, there can never be too many avenues of procrastination! I had to share this one since it is so completely and utterly me:

Today I took a quiz on fb that said "How will you get kicked out of Wal-Mart?" It said that I would be kicked out for sneaking around the isles suspiciously and humming the mission impossible theme. I know what I'm doing tomorrow. MLIA

I am amazed I haven't been kicked out of a store yet. There are often sword fights, spoon fights, and weirdness along those lines. Back on point though, is there a particular reason why there are so many Harry Potter reference on that site or is it just mere coincidence of everyone using it being awesome?

Work this morning was uneventful, if quite busy. The most noteable thing I did was read Mat Devine's latest Q&A blog post. Oh that man, he kills me. He's equal parts scathing sarcasm and brutal honesty. It's fantastic.

Q: Mat, my friend is missing, she just disappeared today. We were going to meet at the train station, but she didn't show up and I didn't have a phone to call here with so I had to go home and try to call her cell. But she didn't answer and I can't find her. What shall I do?

A: You did the right thing. Everyone knows, in the case of an emergency, go online and email a lead singer. Ok people, pay attention: Please do not ask me questions that are gonna get me either sued by parents or involved in some Interpol investigation. my resemblance to a police sketch of the Wicker Park Rapist from 3 years ago already has me on the short list for the next season of To Catch A Predator. Please don’t give them more ammunition.

I managed to make it to my meeting in time. I'm really settling in well with Mandy, I think we're perfectly suited to each other. It's very rare in my academic setting to have someone say "but it's all so subjective, really" as she did within our first five minutes. I am a firm believer in subjectivity, and it's nice to have someone who understands where I'm coming from. We seem to be very similar in our approach to writing. We've got another meeting next week, so I hope she gives me some useful feedback on my piece. In the meantime, she's lent me a copy of a collection she's just edited to read.

I have this desperate need for someone to really tear my creative piece to shreds (metaphorically, in terms of criticism). I don't know why.

Today also featured a trip to the UTS library, where actual books were checked out for the first time in four years. I'm a bit disappointed since I was hoping I could go my entire academic career there without ever needing their library, but it was not to be. It's all Wolfgang Iser's fault. I can't believe the State doesn't have his work. So I've got plenty of reading to do this week. Better start forming a theoretical framework I suppose. Fun *cough*

It was an odd sort of day really. I was feeling rather confident, tired and coughing, but completley balanced. Doesn't happen very often.

My biggest problem going to uni is the way I can't resist stopping by Basement Books, which always ends in the acquisition of something or other. Honestly, why can't I just say no? It's the only way I ever read classic literture though, they sell all the Wordsworth and Penguin classic editions from $2-$8. Today I went in looking for poetry. I emerged with 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' and 'The Last Man' by Mary Shelley. Since I only planned on getting a couple of library books, I had my Muse tote and it now loathes me for squeezing eight books in there. Well, I say the bag loathes me, but really it's my shoulder.

There is a fatality about all physical and intellectual distinctions, the sort of fatality that seems to dog through history the faltering steps of kings. It is better not to be different from one's fellows. The ugly and the stupid have the best of it in this world. They can sit at their ease and gape at the play. If they know nothing of victory, they are at least spared the knowledge of defeat. They live as we all should live, undisturbed, indifferent, and without disquiet.

In other news, I need new black jeans, I'm thinking skinny ones, and I desperately need new sunnies. Why do the damn things break on me? Oh, and those shiny footless tights Dangerfield are peddling. They'd go well with my newly acquired purple dress. Don't know when I'll find time to actually go shopping though. Sigh.

Tomorrow the moving starts. Out comes the paint-spattered BFMV shirt and torn jeans. I will probably be off-line for a bit. Well, as off line as I go anyway. I'll post up a playlist tonight but sans downloads I'm afraid. I don't want blogspot deleting any more of my posts (bastards). However, should anyone actually want any of the songs, I am always more than happy to oblige, just drop a comment.

Music: Believe - The All American Rejects
Mood: Accomplished
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Put the playlists on Spotufy then it's all legal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spotify is not available in this country of mine, otherwise I would long since have joined the bandwagon :)

    ReplyDelete