Saturday, August 22, 2009

Right back what is wrong, we move along

Last night, I headed out to see The All American Rejects with the lovely Em.

I’m not sure who the first support was as Em and I were busy strolling through Newtown, having dinner, and flirting with Irish service staff…well ok the last one was me, but still. We didn’t arrive late enough and caught most of Hoobastank’s set, which we weren’t exactly looking forward to. They were much better than we expected them to be, but they do act like they’re so much cooler than they actually are. I find it hard not to think of them as a bit of a one-hit wonder, especially since The Reason tore the roof off the Enmore where the crowd completely drowned out the band whereas they were fairly nonplussed for the rest of the set. They saved that, and their other hit Crawling in the dark for last. I just have to point out to the couple next to me that making out during the romantic song as a sort of scripted moment kind of kills the spontaneous romance you’re trying to create. Sorry guys. Also, perhaps date people closer to your own heights, your posture is suffering horribly!

AAR came out to odd circus music that made me want to juggle and they certainly had energy to burn. Tyson was, for some inexplicable reason, channelling Pee-wee Herman, right down to the bow tie. I love how bands seem to accumulate extra touring members the bigger they get, they had a keyboardist and a bass player on-stage – for those moments when Tyson was too busy flailing all over the place to play. They didn’t mess around and jumped straight off with Move Along and Stab my back. It’s so fantastic when a band has a strong enough catalogue to open with hits straight out, it immediately strikes up the crowd.

Speaking of the crowd, they were very vocal. It was a typical split floor plan and with us standing near the back of the front section, we were in prime position to be deafened by the girls hanging over the second barrier. It’s a pitch that would leave many dogs howling for weeks. Back on point, it was boiling inside and Tyson systematically started stripping. He was all over the stage, twitching and convulsing and being electric. At one point they all disappeared for a bit and I’m fairly sure he actually did a wardrobe change…I say wardrobe but I mean pants, since he came back only wearing that. Skinny boy glistening with sweat. The crowd loved it.

They had an amazing light set up with them, crazy strobes and those humungous sets they put in the back. I always appreciate it when bands have any sort of extra something with them while they tour here since it happens so rarely, it’s simply too expensive for bands to drag proper sets out here. Stage play was really excellent and there were so many moments where it just felt like we were all in a rock video. You know, Tyson outlined against a bank of lights, then the house lights come on and the crowd are all moving as one, hands in the air. It’s one of those quintessential live moments. Tyson had his trademark cheeky banter happening, teasing and flirting, and having a bit of a tiff with his microphones. While doing Real World he had two which to me just painted an incredibly cool picture. There was also this sweet moment when I noticed a girl being dragged out of the crowd by security and he leaned down and sort of sang to her. He’s such a charmer.

As arresting as Tyson is live, I love watching Nick Wheeler play guitar. He blew me away the first time I saw them and I was really looking forward to it this time. It doesn’t happen very often, but he’s just one of those that I can watch all day. Really, Nick Wheeler with a guitar is up there as one of my all time favourite things. He’s so effortless, and he is so good at it. He just makes it look so easy and he clearly loves every single minute of it. I find that completely intoxicating. He struts around the stage and just enjoys himself. It’s brilliant.

I was very happy with the set, ranging from Paper Heart and Swing, Swing to It ends tonight and Straitjacket feeling. They also did The last song and I completely forgot how much I loved that song. There was a wonderful rendition of Mona Lisa, preceded by a passionate mini-speech by Tyson saying how they bleed on stage for their fans and really believe in what they do. Honestly, I believe him, it just shows.

It was one of those nights that reminded me why I got into this music thing in the first place. I've been fairly gig-deprived lately, the last being MSI in April with Abs. Last night I felt a jolt I haven’t felt in ages, that pure exhilaration that comes from a good rock show by a band who clearly love what they do, and put everything into every single minute of it. I am ashamed to admit I haven’t felt that in quite some time, last time must have been TAI. I think a good band makes every time you see them seem as amazing as the first, just as much fun, energy and excitement, regardless of how many times you have actually seen them. You don't question or think, you just enjoy. My Chem do it, whereas Fall Out Boy do not. I love them dearly, but their live shows don’t really do much for me anymore. So yeah, it’s been a while since I’ve done a gig review like this because I guess it’s been a while since I’ve felt so inspired by one.

Thanks AAR, this was exactly what I needed. Thanks Em, for being a good sport and coming along!

Next week it’s TAI/Anberlin with Roze. I have a good feeling. It’ll be like the fifth Friday in a row I’ll be out. Social life, it exists.

Music: All Blacks v Wallabies game
Mood: Content
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Sigh... and that's what it's alllll about! Life, the universe and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precisely! It's right in those moments - the meaning of life :)

    ReplyDelete