Saturday, August 1, 2009

Na na na na hey!

Oh dear, the garish light of day. Get it off me! Last night was quite epic. It is true that I am quite a geek and tend not to go out much, but for once I had every intention of making the most of it and actually did. Huzzah!

Dressed in various colours that were not black, the evening started off at Twelve, which I think is my new favourite restaurant. We were about 40 minutes late since there was taxi trouble, but what's the point of throwing a party if you can't arrive late, right? That's the story and we're sticking to it. It was a good group and though conversation veered well off the path of polite or appropriate, I think it's safe to say a good time was had by all. Especially those who got into the red wine. Not me, mind you, I stuck to the pinot grigio which I think is the best thing ever (Abbi's doing, tsk tsk). I also got two desserts since there was some sort of mix-up that resulted in a chocolate cake no one ordered. Far be it for me to let chocolate go to waste. Tiramisu and cake stand no chance against me, mwahaha and so on. We lost some of the party as the night went on, starting with Em and Angus, adorable as they are, until eventually there were 7 of us left puzzling over the bill that I was somehow meant to make sense of despite the fact that we had way more money than was actually needed. Oops.

Bundling half of our remaining group into a taxi, we weren't quite done yet, and so found ourselves in Kuleto's cocktail bar. A darkened corner - with a light! - turned out to be so much to our liking, we settled in for the night. It was at this point where all my intentions of going home evaporated. Hilarity ensued. Oh, and what hilarity. There were loud proclamations of love for bartenders insisting they were too old for us. There was Jeff, a guy who joined our party and we all assumed someone knew until we realised he was a complete stranger, but who stuck around intermittently - and who I think re-appropriated someone's scarf. There was a guy in golf get-up. There was needling with the bartender until we got an entire bowl of maraschino cherries - I have to give kudos to Annie for swinging this, even though they had me drink the juice...note to self, do not start any evening off by saying you'd do anything for these cherries. A lot of photos were taken, I fear them. More of Roze's friends came for drinks, and so the drinks kept coming. Annie and I were the voice of reason in trying to get everyone out (aka bar to taxi co-ordination skills.) Well, Annie may have been more reasonable since I was still quite keen on getting everyone parting shots first. We are however a pretty poor voice of reason, all things considered, since we were the ones doing the thieving. Ah well. I happily fell into Roze's insanely comfortable bed at some point well after 2.

I had to be up at an obscene time this morning to view some open houses with my mum, so I dragged myself rather unwillingly from my stupor before 8 and snuck out of the house. Didn't want to wake the two sleeping beauties who had been considerably worse off than me the previous evening. So glad I took the day off work though, I'd have been useless. Especially when the desperate need for bacon hit around 10. But yes, as far as evenings go, I'd say this was quite the roaring success. I insist we do it again. Monthly.

Now I have expended all my energy for the day and shall lie comatose on the couch watching Boondock Saints, or some such. Adieu.

Music: Poker face - Lady Gaga
Mood: A little rough around the edges
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like an AWESOME night. No wonder you had a good time! Loving the bit about the cherries. And yes Pinot Grigio is the way forward. Very lamely though, you can't get it in SA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you when I devoured the cherries *nods* I unearthed a cocktail glass in my bag...hmm. It is a very pretty glass though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha!! thats so funny, i cant believe i had to go home early and missed all of that! Did u guys finish the red wine? u know i did have half of it, and according to angus i was drunk and kept giggling every minute. Sounds like a great night.

    Btw cute new car! is that for ur dad? hes not getting a new motor bike?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha you did keep giggling, and sending me ghetto texts even though you were four seats away. But trust me, by the end of the night we were all giggling. When I left this morning J and R were dead to the world. It was a really great. I had so much fun.

    Nope no new motorbike, well not now anyway. Mum will probably give in and get him one in like two years or something *sigh* Martha is supposedly a family car, we can all drive it *rolles eyes*

    ReplyDelete