Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I'll swallow my pride if you'll stay for the years

And today I know that tomorrow is going to shine golden and bring our hearts back home

I'm floating down on my little bubble of low-level madness. I had some really loopy random thoughts yesterday...one even pertaining to the nature of immortality, which is a subject I spend much time pondering. Utterly depressing as unending life (or death, depending what incarnation you find yourself in) may be, it can also be completely fantastic. Imagine what you could do with all that time. All the things you could learn! It's gorgeous. Of course you end up alone and miserable, but hey, everything has a price. Unless of course you are a Cullen, in which case you can have a happy immortal family...in comparison to Ann Rice's vampires, who just don't roll that way. Lestat especially has a bad habit of trying to make himself some company and then running off, or letting them run off. It always reminds me of that line in Troy where Achilles is talking about the gods with Briseis and he says "we men are wrecthed things." I always adapt the line to suit my purpose at the time, in this case, we immortals are wretched things. It's relevant, ok! I love that scene, "The gods envy us. They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again."

For the record, I somehow incorporated the movie into an English essay in Year 12, that's why I can recall these lines.

What I find funny is how, sometimes, you'll come across something in some random spot and then suddenly it is everywhere. I came across the term "deus ex machina" on the Tropes Wiki site and since then I have found it in books, articles, even uni readings...and pretty much just everywhere. I went years without seeing it used and then suddenly, it's there. It's much like the Lone Ranger in fact. It's bizarre. All it does however is make me want to watch The Matrix.

My dad is so cute when he runs away from the creepy aliens of whatever I'm watching. He took one look at a bit of 'Small Worlds' and stalked off muttering to himself about things related to Doctor Who and weird creatures. He hates it. I taunt him regularly. Although strangely enough, his objection to aliens does not extend to the talking keychain I acquired today in a moment of weakness. I had to hide my keys cause he kept pressing the "Exterminate! Exterminate!" button. And now my mum wants to take it to work so she can walk around and brandish the "You must be upgraded!" one at people.

See, then people wonder where I get it from.

My purchases for the day did not limit itself to fangirlish acquisitions (although I did get the Torchwood yearbook while I was at it - nothing says fangirl quite like flagrant merch acquisition), I also purchased 2 pairs of jeans (black and worn traditional) and they're gorgeously long. Well not long long, but longer than I am accustomed to having. I love finding long jeans, it's such a rare occassion *revels* Oh and I got an umbrella from Dangerfield after freaking the girl out quite a bit. I forget that most people find it disconcerting when someone wanders in cicrles with a blank look on their faces and touching everything. I was trying to waste time, what can I say? Anyway, the umbrella has skulls on it. It looks pretty flimsy on closer inspection, but it'll do. Hype are still selling those psuedo Wellingtons, at 30% off at the moment. I'm wondering whether I should get a pair...cause I really am going to need waterproof shoes and Docs are heavy. Decisions, decisions. Once I have shoes, I believe I have everything for the trip...well except a plug. But in general it's all sorted. Which is good seeing as I'll be on a plane two weeks from today.

All this madness because I had to go into uni this morning with my stupid Honours forms. Camilla wasn't there, but I was prepared today and left it there along with an envelope so she could simply sign it and send it back to me. Aren't I clever? Come on, someone say I'm clever. She emailed me earlier to say it was in the post. So viola. Once it gets here, I can drop the tree's worth of paperwork in at the Tower and it's all done. Finally.

On my way to uni, which I may point out is exceedinly creepy when there is no one there - just a sleepy security gaurd on the ground floor and the crazy computer lab doors making weird noises and swinging open when you walk past; I saw a funny ad on the bus this morning for a beer company, I think it's Bluetongue beer, and it says "No lizards were harmed in the making of this beer. However one was squashed by our delivery truck in Perth." Tongue in cheek. Very nice.

Oh oh, while walking home from the station (yes walking home, and it was quite hot) I was thinking about scriptwriters and what they're thinking when they kill off their characters. I mean, what makes you think "hmmm, let's kill one of them"? I could never imagine killing one of the ESM crew. How horrible. I was trying to think of who I would kill off if I had to, and I just couldn't do it. Although Tyler would probably be the most likely candidate. Though I suspect Abbi will shoot me for even following this particular train of thought.

Oh. My. God. The whole fangirl/merch thing just reminded me (yes, four paragraphs later, I think it's clear that my brain ain't wired all that sharply at the moment), I have misplaced my Teenagers MCR shirt. I am not impressed. I keep going to put it on and then not finding it. I love that shirt, it's a bit big but it doesn't look stupid. And it's Teenagers. Teenagers! I don't know what the hell could have happened to it. I want it, damn it!

Sigh.

I want a desktop wallpaper that says "You can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need" with Gwen, Jack and Ianto. Not surprisingly I had this thought while walking home as well. And indeed, I was listening to the song. As always, trusty iPod Beckettoo is made of awesome. I guess I could make my own wallpaper but I haven't really mastered the art of backgrounds on photoshop, and since having photoshop I have been reluctant to use anything else, even though I have a much better technical grasp of Corel.

You would think I'd have something better to do with my time, but no, I am a useless uni grad now. Watch me waste space.

I realise I didn't have an obsession of the week last Friday, so here's a belated obsession. It's a song called 'Doomsday and the echo' by Lovedrug. It recalls elements of Coldplay and Jack's Mannequin, probably the piano's doing, and is just a really gorgeous soft song. It's a soundtrack song, in my opinion. An honourable mention also goes out to 'I promise you walls' by Shiny Toy Guns which I have just recently fallen in love with.

Well, I've rambled most efficiently. But hey, at least it isn't about pigeons! Long story, don't ask.

Music: Just say you're not in to it - Mayday Parade
Mood: Tired
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. "Once I have shoes, I believe I have everything for the trip...well except a plug." Do you have ANY idea how hard I laughed at that? I suddenly had this image of you trudging through the UK with a bath plug in your hand.

    Yes, you are clever.

    And dude, wasting space is what we uni grads do. I've already started getting the days mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I aim to please :D I should have said an adapter really, but oh well, brain's not really doing me any favours at the moment lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler??? You want to kill Tyler! My baby? Can't Van just have a hideous drug overdose? You will need 2 plugs actually... the UK has different plugs to the rest of Europe... UK 3 square prongs... Europe 2 round prongs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I know about the different plugs. Much like the pound vs the Euro, England just enjoys being difficult.

    Van isn't a main cast memeber tho! He's more like an ever present background character. I was more thinking of the main crew....like they killed Marissa off in The OC and she was a main character, if you get my drift. So, out of the boys, who would you kill? I love them all and of course I'll miss Tyler, mourn him in fact, but there is no way I could face killing off Eric or Blake. But it's merely an existential argument.

    ReplyDelete