Thursday, May 27, 2010

Drag my feet across the floor

I'm in such a chipper mood today, I'm kind of scaring myself. Maybe it's the lack of sleep, or maybe it's just the fact that uni last night ended on such a fun note, who knows? I'm inclined to go for the latter, because it was just so great. Three other people in class had decided to bring in their favourite graphic novels in a pseudo-book club move so they could show them to each other, and I of course could not resist sticking around and flailing. I've wanted to get into graphic novels for a while (I loved comics when I was younger) but I've never known where to start really, and I find comic book stores very intimidating - in that omggtfonoob! way. So yes, I really appreciated this love-in! It just really reinforces my belief that there really is nothing better than hanging out with people who are passionate about something, it doesn't matter what it is, there's just an instant feeling of excitement and community (for lack of a better word). I also loved how protective they all were of their favourite ones, like it's a sacred object no one else is allowed to touch. I kind of have that with my Torchwood dvds which is, you know, insane but then that's the default setting for me on that subject. So yes, a really lovely way to end the class. It's funny actually, class ended early at 8.30 but because of this share meeting, we only left around 9.15. Nerd alert! So much fun.

I have other things I want to blog about. I keep having flashes of ramble topics, but I just don't seem to have time at the moment to get on here and get it out. It's really annoying! First up, 3D television. This premiered here on Monday with the soccer match between Aus and NZ, and had its second outing last night with the rugby league State of Origin match. It sounds like the dumbest thing I've heard of lately. I mean, really, come on. People are buying these television sets without having anything to watch on it really, it's seems utterly pointless. Then they charge over $100 for the glasses (you only get one pair with the TV, two if you are lucky). Who wants to wear glasses to watch television? Especially if you already wear normal glasses. And what if you have people over, do you have to buy a twenty pairs, do they share, or does everybody have to bring their own, what's the protocol here? I, for one, have no interest in 3D viewing, so where does that leave me in the greater scheme of things? It just doesn't seem logical to me - as they said on the radio the other night, the screen should just be covered in a 3D film or something, never mind glasses.

Another question, and this is probably just some technical thing, why don't those old-school blue/red 3D glasses work with this stuff?

So that's one thing I wanted to mention, I've already forgotten the other one, which leaves me with Glee. Oh, Glee. Now I know a lot of people love this show, a lot of people. I was never particularly sold on it, when it's good, it's fantastic, but often I'd find myself sitting there wondering why exactly I was watching it. Now with the new season I'm finding that the more I watch of it, the less I like it. I don't know what exactly it is, but I'm just completely off it. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I just don't like any of the characters and while this isn't usually a problem for me (you don't need to like characters for a story to work), I don't find them engaging either...definitely not relatable. It's a shame really because people just love this show so much, and they get such joy from it, I feel kind of sorry for myself that I'm missing out! Oh well.

What else did I want to say? Hmm. Oh god, yes. How is it the end of May already? I HAVE DONE NOTHING THE LAST TWO WEEKS *breathes into paper bag* I'm going to have a serious study session the next few days, get everything out of the way. I haven't even looked at getting things organised for the UK, and with this stupid volcano doing whatever it wants whenever it wants, it's really unnecessary stress, thank you very much. Actually, Hamish and Andy leave tonight for one of their 'Caravan of Courage' tours across the UK, I wonder if I could email them and ask for a lift. For the international contingent, they are radio hosts, you can find some of their "preparations" for the trip here, notably last night's office jousting challenge. As you do.

I honestly have no work to do. I've written everything I have received, and no one wants to give me anything to do "until I have settled in". How I am supposed to get settled when they won't give me work, I do not know. I'm just going to update the site and hope for more email. After I have lunch, of course.

Oh yeah, my dad's gone to the Phuket for the week with the Qantas Rugby Club. We are such a travelling family this year, everyone is everywhere virtually all the time.

Music: Campus - Vampire Weekend
Mood: Hungry
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment