Thursday, December 24, 2009

So this is Christmas

Last year:

Photobucket

Photobucket

This year:

Photobucket

Photobucket

World's apart.

Today marks the start of the Christmas celebrations in my house, traditionally through the ages my family has been one of those that makes a big deal out of Christmas Eve. Lots of food, wine and festivities, and of course the presents. Christmas Day is then reserved for a more subdued relaxation of sorts. I used to think it was the done thing, but apparently not. Ah well, everyone has their own traditions I suppose. We have family friends coming over tonight, our little make-shift family over here, it should be nice.

Usually I leave my reflections until closer to NYE, but we might as well get them out of the way now. 2009 has been an...interesting year. Not one of my best to date, I must confess. It started well enough with leftover travel excitement and fangirlish glee, and Abbi coming to visit. Everything seemed to go downhill virtually the minute she went home. It's been trying and most of it I think I'll suppress when we hit 2010, but hey, I suppose that's how we grow. It is sadly in this respect, when looking at the pros and cons of the year, that the cons far outweighed the good.

Reasons why 2009 sucked:
- The insidious moving
- Drama with the owner of the second place
- My dad's bike accident
- My grandfather's heart attack
- Honours coursework
- Lack of consistent, decent gigs
- Two words: Ianto. Jones.
- see also: Children of Earth
- see also: The large scale breakdown of the TW fandom

Incidentally also why the one thing I want for Christmas this year is the one thing I will never have again.

Reasons why 2009 ruled:
- Abbi's visit
- A social life, complete with some new friends
- Completely embracing my geek side
- Completing Honours
- The anticipation leading up to Children of Earth

It's kind of funny because it wasn't just my year that seemed to toss up one curveball after another. Overall 2009 has not been kind to people - there have been personal trials and tragedies galore all over the board, not to mention the slew of celebrity deaths. It's been...tiring. The stress of honours, the moving, my dad getting hurt and my granddad being sick all while I was completely emotionally destroyed, rational or not, really took it out of me. I've been impatient, dismissive and reclusive over November just trying to restore some semblance of balance back to my life. I'm feeling better, and I think I've learned things from the entire process, like sometimes it's alright to be selfish because you can't always just be everyone else's rock - sometimes they should be there for you too; that I am never apologising for who I am or how I feel, whether people think it's weird or not; and that I am very lucky to have my parents and the friends that I do - I don't know how I would have gotten through this year without them.

So in this so called festive season, I am actually feeling festive for a change and I, for one, am going to be ringing in the new year with some relief next week. 2010, bring it on.

I love the stars too much to fear the darkness.

Finally, fair warning, should someone spoil me for the End of Time, that person will receive a rusty fork in the eye. Promise. And on that note, I won't be on Twitter after its airing. I have learnt my lesson there.

Music: Last Christmas - Florence + the Machine
Mood: Festivities imminent
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment