Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Caught up in the fable

John Barrowman has said he expects Torchwood is to return for a fourth series as a full 13 episode run. Speaking on Steve Wright in the Afternoon on BBC Radio 2, Barrowman confirmed he was signed up for the long rumoured return, although a production date has yet to be finalised.

Hm. See, I don't know how to feel anymore. Just, just, ugh. And whyyyyy? I bet Jack pops up in the End of Time just long enough to be told to go back to Earth, re-uniting with Gwen and a succession of red shirts and then at the end of this supposed 13 episode run Rhys promptly dies. Yeah, I've got your number, drama, don't you worry about that. On that note, I can't fight the overwhelming sense that RTD has blown everything out of the water in the End of Time. He's already nicely laid the foundation for Ten's character assassination, and there will probably be impressive collateral damage. So let's prepare permanent goodbyes for Donna. You know, for the good of the story. And yeah, sure, it'll probably be gripping television. But you'd probably still wish you'd rather never seen it.

I was regaling my mum with theories and opinions on this the other day, poor long suffering woman, and she suggested I may as well do my PhD on it. And you know what, my qualifications are of a sufficiently random sort that I could actually do that. There are however more than a few books on Doctor Who already though but, but, a quick search of the UTS library reveals nothing on Torchwood. There's a niche! Hahahahaha. I can have a doctorate in Torchwood.Well, technically it would be a doctorate in television and fandom, on which there are many books but most of them on Star Trek. Gigglesnort. The poor lecturer who suggested I do a PhD in 20th Century French Literature would be so disappointed in me.

Speaking of the insanity of tertiary education, I decided today to accept the place at UTS for Masters. It's been over a month that they first issued it and since USyd don't seem to know when or if I will get an offer from them, I don't want to wait too long. If I do get another offer, I'll weight up both options and see what's best. UTS is going to be a lot more intense as it's full time, but I know UTS. I know I am more than capable of working in their environment. Superficially speaking, the subject choices are bit more to my liking. I've done half of the ones USyd offer, whereas with UTS it is more of a progression on top of what I've already studied. It's only the exchange thing that fucks me over.

Anyway, if I do end up going to UTS I'm thinking of taking professional editing and experiments in writing as electives. I have another one but I cannot decide whether to do novel writing, popular fiction, or critical writing. There's also 'writing television drama' which goes beyond screenwriting to encompass the entire world of series writing as you develop a show. It would obs be great for Amped. Guess I'll see what's available when the time comes, no point in making plans in advance with these universities, they change something every week.

I do find it amusing however that when looking at the "requisite(s)" previous units of study, I have done virtually all the subjects they list. I've been at uni too long. Sigh.

But I digress. I am off to see Dorian Gray with Roze and co tonight. Right after I take Oreo to the vet. There's no rest for the wicked...but there is still cake.

Music: Who'll stop the rain - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Mood: Cold
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. The UTS course sounds absolutely amazing! Hey if USyd can't get their act together it makes sense to look at the UTS course... still think you'll get an offer from USyd though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I was starting to look forward to us being at the same uni again. Ah well, we'll still meet up no doubt.

    Ugh if they kill Donna I will be utterly bereft. She doesn't deserve to die.

    ReplyDelete