Friday, June 18, 2010

A lesson in justifying your fandom academically

This morning, I nervously paced my hotel room reciting my paper and mentally thought to myself “For once in your life, just be the person people think you are. Just once.” I don't think I entirely pulled it off, but it was an adequate performance that didn't leave me feeling utterly humiliated or feeling out of my depth. I might even go as far as saying I enjoyed it. I certainly got a lot out of it, and it was very interesting. I met a lovely French girl that approach things from a very similar way as I do, and who is also a Masters student on her first international conference, so it was nice to have company. Don't feel so out of my depth! After an entire day dedicated to discussing the various elements of Torchwood, the two of us went down to the bay to have another look at the memorial and spent another three hours talking about it. We also came up with brilliant titles for a series of books on the subject, essay collections if you will. I'm not saying what they are, I might actually want to follow up on it one day, but they are nothing short of brilliant. Brilliant, I tells you!

I feel like a kid who had too much sugar now though, and am quite exhausted. Headache too. Must pack as bus is too stupidly early in the morning. I'm really quite sad to have to leave, I don't want to. Entirely unexpected, I must admit. But, hey, I finally get to see Abs! And Green Day! Woo!

Side note: Cardiff is an entirely different place on a Friday night. The city seems to be blocked off from traffic and the entire population is "out on the town" as it were. It's quite odd and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Not that I'm really thinking about it, but it's worth a mention all the same. Now, on to the packing *sigh*

Music: A Welsh game show that I have no hope of deciphering
Mood: Tired
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment