Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Living The Big Bang Theory life

Today’s random observation: I really like Matthew Vaughan. I think he’s a really slick producer and director. Also, he’s got screenwriting credit on Kick-Ass, XMFC and Stardust. All things I love. Ah, if only he stayed on to direct X-Men: The Last Stand, what awesome it could have been.

Speaking of directors, apparently Kenneth Branagh will not be directing Thor 2. This seems like a mistake to me. No one really had high hopes for Thor, but it turned out to be great. Why mess with something that works? And it’s supposed to be out in 2013? Sheesh. They’re just churning out Avengers scripts over there. While I’m aware that Marvel really just sees all these films as a giant marketing campaign to sell merch, is it really necessary to keep rushing everything so much? Imagine what a perfect film X-Men: First Class could have been if they’d given them time to refine the script, more time to turn it around and a bigger budget. The fact that they’ve had a pretty good run with these films so far doesn’t mean they can keep tempting fate. One wrong note and you’ve got a Green Lantern on your hands (what Rolling Stone has described as a lesson in “how not to make a superhero film.”) You just need one bad film to lose people. We’re fickle like that.

Also, shouldn’t someone be concerned with saturating the market? If there’s a steady stream of these films every year, won’t people get sick of it? Especially since all the build-up is to next year’s Avengers. Once that has passed…well, I don’t know. Seems a bit much to me. And hey, Chris Nolan’s Batman movies don’t suffer at all for having longer intervals in between. If you tell a good story, people will watch it, regardless of when you release it (well okay, it can’t be too long after the previous, but within five years should be fine.) I can understand that they’re probably worried this superhero bubble is going to burst so they’re trying to cash in as much as they can, but I think that behaviour is what contributes to the bubble bursting. There’ll be The Avengers (first of 3?), Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2, all within a year? It’s not like a studio releasing four separate films, after all. This is all the same ‘universe’, the same continuity. Sooner or later, you're going to get fed up. And sure, you don’t have to watch them all, but if you’re an idiot like me who likes seeing how things come together, you’ll feel compelled to.

Goddamn comic books. I can’t believe I got suckered into this. Curse you, Marvel! I hear DC is rebooting its entire universe today. It’s a never-ending cycle! Aaaaah *weeps*

Anyway, forget Thor. Make me some more X-Men movies. How have all these Avengers sequels been announced when XMFC was critically the best received of the lot (excluding the first Iron Man)? I know it didn’t drag in the same amount at the box office, but come on. Look, to help save money, I’ll even graciously offer to write it. I may only have read one comic, but I have wikipedia and I am not afraid to use it. Also I took a screenwriting class at uni once and got a distinction for it. I hated it, but you know, I’ll do it to help out.

PS: Yes, I'm this geeky now. Bear with me.

Music: Synesthesia - AFI

No comments:

Post a Comment