Friday, July 8, 2011

Top 10: Frequently Watched Films

It’s the return of the Friday Top 10! In honour of my recent obsession with X-Men: First Class, I’ve decided to dedicate this week to the films I have re-watched the most. I’m a big re-watcher/re-reader – considering my obsessive tendencies, it’s not much of a surprise. I like that the more your watch/read something, the more subtleties you pick up, whether it be in the nuances of characters, writing or design. Sure, after a while, you reach saturation point and there’s nothing else to take away from it, but for me, it doesn’t dull the enjoyment of something. Some people will argue you waste your time going back to things you’ve already seen/read but I think it’s a comfort thing. Sometimes you like to hang around the house in that threadbare hoody you know you should really throw out, and sometimes you like to engage with something you know you’re going to love.


  •  Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

I have no words that will convey how much I love this movie. I’ve seen it more times than I can remember and can practically quote the whole script off the top of my head. "Me, I’m dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it’s the honest ones you want to look out for because you never know when they’re going to do something incredibly…stupid."
It's not a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs,
but what a ship is...what the
Black Pearl really is...is freedom.

  •  Lord of The Rings: FOTR, TTT, ROTK

I’ve got all three down because I tend to watch them together (or rather across three weekends.) I might have seen The Two Towers one or two times more. That scene where the elves arrive at Helm’s Deep never fails to give me goosebumps. It’s got such a foreboding air that one, the threat of battle. Anyway, I don’t have any solid idea how many times I’ve watched these either but it’s a lot. And we’re talking the extended editions too. And with the cast commentary. Yeah, it's that level of crazy. The extended edition blu-rays have just been released and I understand there’s an extra disc – what is on that disc? I demand answers! And I am not buying blu-rays to get them! Gah. These films hurt my heart. I’ve cried during all of them. How lame.
History became legend, legend became myth, and  those
things which should not  have been forgotten were lost...

  •  10 Things I hate About You

This is the perfect teen film. My love is boundless, boundless I tells you! Although I haven’t watched it in a while, when I used to work double shifts at the doctor’s surgery I would watch it in my break – it was exactly the right length. So sometimes I’d end up watching it twice or three times in one week. I have a real affinity with Kat Stratford (and I do mean the film, not that show that's running around. I don't even want to talk about it.)
The shit hath hiteth the fan...eth.

  •  Center Stage

I seriously think this is that one dance movie everybody secretly adores. Well, girls anyway. One of the main things I like about it is that pretty much all the stars are actual ballet dancers (except for Zoe Saldana, I think, who is clearly just made of awesome.) It’s just such a feel-good story about following your dreams and doing it on your own terms. How can you go wrong with that? I always end up feeling desperately lazy after watching it though.
I am your slave! / I'd believe it more if you weren't
staring at your own reflection when you said it.

  • About A Boy

"And there I was, killing them softly with my song." This film! Aaaaah *grabby hands* Firstly, to all those people now desperately in love Nicholas Hoult after Skins and A Single Man and XMFC….NEVER FORGET. Oh, the hair. I never miss an opportunity to watch this film. If it’s on TV, I’ll watch it even though I own it. Actually, it’s sort of my favourite Christmas movie. What? It has a Christmas song in it.
I mean he's a special, a very, very special boy and he's got a special soul
and I've wounded it. / Oh, please, just shut up, you're wounding my soul.
  •  The Blues Brothers

As with the film above, I’ll watch this one on TV too. And it’s on quite a lot, mainly when TV1 tires of Cliffhanger and Rambo. It’s such a ridiculous amount of fun, I can’t help myself. "It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we’ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses."
We're on a mission from God.
  • The Matrix

When I first got this on DVD, I pretty much watched it every day for a week. There’s nothing I don’t love about this film, absolutely nothing. I don’t really know what else I can say on the matter.
There is no spoon.
  • Little Miss Sunshine

This is another film I watched a lot in my "lunch breaks" back in the day. I always forget about this one – I think I’ve seen it more times than I actually realise. I love the oddball collection of characters, and you can’t really fault the road movie formula. The great thing about this film is that it goes against the grain, the character motivations aren’t the standard ones you’ve come to expect from films. And that’s brilliant. Also, Dwayne. My heart breaks.
Everyone just...pretend to be normal!
  •  Stardust

When I want something fantastical and mythical, but still quite light and fun, I default to Stardust. (Incidentally, when I want something fantastical and mythical and entirely camp, I default to Labyrinth.) I think…this is a flawless film. Flawless! You want reasons why this film is perfect? Fine. Firstly, it’s based on the book by Neil Gaiman, the personification of awesome/genius.Flowing on from that, the characters are captivating. It’s perfectly cast and everyone turns in great performances. Sir Ian McKellen narrates. It has Robert De Niro in drag. Ben Barnes is in it…for like three minutes, but still. In short: it’s funny, it’s engaging, it’s brilliant.
Do you see another world out there? No, you see a field. Do you see
anything non-human? No. And you know why? Because it's a field!

Yeah, I got tired of making graphics pretty quickly. Sorry. Anyway, since I don’t actually count how many times I’ve watched things, I can’t be sure beyond the first three if these films are actually the ones I’ve watched the most – they are the first ones that came to mind though.

Honourable mentions go to: The Princess Bride, Snatch, Robin Hood: Men In Tights, Almost Famous, V For Vendetta, Across The Universe, Iron Man, Beauty & The Beast and The Lion King.

Oh crap, I forgot Star Wars! That definitely should have been on the main Top 10 list. There goes my geek cred. What a loser.

Music: Il Tango... - Forgive Durden

1 comment: