Monday, July 18, 2011

Golden lies feed my role

In his latest Fuse blog, Mat Devine shares 5 tips for (maybe) conquering writer's block. One of them is -

D. GET STUPID. The best songs were written by bands who had no idea what they were doing. Their subsequent work lacks charm and originality because their innocence was lost. They’d been “taught” the formulas of the craft; the modes, arrangements, melodies, keys, tempos. My hunch is that right now you know too much. Challenge yourself to look at the page and at language in a new way. Deconstruct and reconstruct. Be free. Be wrong.

That is me. It is so me. I'm so bogged down in theory, in the basics of writing, in the study of how everyone else does it, that it becomes nearly impossible to just...write. I've settled into this uni/work-writing state, and it's hard to break out of that. At least there's comfort in knowing that everyone else goes through such things too. Just have to keep at it and one day "the flow" will come back. Hopefully.

Music: Hyper music - Muse

No comments:

Post a Comment