Friday, February 4, 2011

Top 10: Favourite Torchwood Episodes

In keeping with the theme of last week's Doctor Who Top 10, I present my favourite Torchwood episodes. My insanity regarding this show has been well documented on this blog through many an unstable post - it was my favourite television show and while I miss it quite terribly, I have little hope that the new season will rekindle the same feeling it did before. I have filled the void with Fringe, so I fear TW won't be able to live up to it in its new-found quest to be serious speculative drama. Ah well, such is life. Without further ado, the list!

  • Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang
    • "What a cosmic joke eye candy. An accident of chemicals and evolution. The jokes, the sex - just to cover the fact that nothing means anything. And the only consolation is money."
  • Captain Jack Harkness
    • "Someone saved my life, brought me back from death, and ever since then it's been like... they're keeping me for something and I don't know what it is. I'm sorry for dragging you into this."
  • Fragments
    • "Look, any conversation between us, no matter what the subject, is over. Finished. Done. Forever. I'm getting back behind the wheel of that car. If you're still standing in the road, I'm gonna drive through you."
  • Countrycide
    • " I hate the countryside. It's dirty, it's unhygienic. And what is that smell?" "That would be grass." "It's disgusting!"
  • Sleeper
    • "Mobiles, landlines, tin cans with bits of string. Everything, absolutely everything! No phones! Phones all broken. 'Hello, is anyone there?' No, cause the phones aren't working!"
  • Exit Wounds
    • "Brilliant secret - I ask, you tell. Well done!"
  • Cyberwoman
    • "You’re worse than anything locked up down there. One day, I’ll have the chance to save you and I’ll watch you suffer and die."
  • They Keep Killing Suzie
    • "This is. Driving through the dark. All this stupid, tiny stuff. We're just animals howling in the night, cause it's better than silence. I used to think about Torchwood. All those aliens coming to Earth? What the hell for? But it's just instinct. They come here cause there's life, that's all. Moths around a flame, creatures clinging together in the cold."
  • To The Last Man
    • "I left home a long time ago. I don't really know where I really belong. Maybe that doesn't matter any more."
  • Something Borrowed
    • "What I don't understand is if people are going to make such a big deal about getting married, why come all the way out into the middle of nowhere where no one can find you to do it? That, to me, suggests inner conflict."

My least favourite episode, for the record, is 'Combat' - a blatant Fight Club rip off that I wouldn't have minded if it at least directly referenced Fight Club, but it doesn't, so there. Excluding, of course, Day 4 and Day 5, the most traumatic television I've ever subjected myself to. Sad, but true.

Team Torchwood are baffled by the approach of legitimate drama.
Music: Strobe lights - Kill Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment