Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Surf's up

So, in case you’re not up to speed, Australia is the new hell. Come one, come all, we’ve got your disasters and plagues covered! Locusts, floods, whatever takes your fancy. Again I feel I have to say that this country just doesn’t want humans here. It tries to scare us off all the time, but we just don't listen. You'd think the spiders and snakes would do the trick, but there you go. Poor Queensland. Just what they needed – more rain. Not sure what they did, but they sure pissed off mother nature somehow.

Cyclone Yasi...what a stupid name. Why can't we give them mean wrestling
names, like The Destroyer or Maximum Extreme or something.

At the risk of stating the obvious, this is one huge tropical cyclone. Saw some mention on twitter that its eye is 35km. Category 5. They’re expecting winds of over 300km/h and swells of up to 7m. Pretty much the entire northern part of Queensland has shut down. Hope there aren’t any ships out there, that’d be nasty. (Understatement alert.)

In keeping with our new hellish reputation, it’s been sweltering in Sydney town the last couple of days. Yesterday we clocked 42°C at work, and it was still 39.8°C when I got home at 6.30 (after coaxing a near death Jack home, I might add. That car does not cope well with the heat and traffic. I’ve got Martha today, so at least I have an airconditioner that works when stationary.) I don’t really mind the heat as long as I don’t have to do anything in it – lying in my hammock on the deck, great! Moving or walking anywhere, not so much. Sleeping has been the most problematic. I just haven’t been doing much of it. Oh, I try, but it’s a long process and when I do actually fall asleep, I have such weird dreams. I don’t remember the details, but I remember that they’re weird.

In news not related to the weather, I’ve written over 5,000 words in the last 24 hours. Yay! Creativity! All on Amped, which is great. I’ve missed those kids. Shockingly, it’s already February, and before I go back to uni I still have to write more on Silver & Silent, and write an essay. Running out of time! As always. Eh. I’ll just have to fit it in...somehow.

Music: Derezzed - Daft Punk

No comments:

Post a Comment