Thursday, January 13, 2011

No circumstances could excuse

So I’m trying to figure out the logistics of going to London then Jo’burg then London again without it being a colossal amount of money and I end up looking at tours (as you do). One of them happen to be a tour of the Kruger National Park and surrounding areas –

We head out along the Panorama Route to explore world famous sites like Blyde River Canyon, Three Rondavels, Bourke's Luck Potholes, God's Window, and one or two waterfalls en route. The Panorama Route is one of the most beautiful and popular travel destinations in South Africa. It leads through the rugged mountain range of the northern Drakensberg. Here, in the north-eastern part of the Great Escarpment, the inland plateau declines abruptly and steeply and opens up fantastic views of the plains of the Lowveld a thousand metres below…The world-renowned Kruger National Park offers a wildlife experience that ranks with the best in Africa. Established in 1898 to protect the wildlife of the South African Lowveld, this national park of nearly 2 million hectares is unrivaled in the diversity of its life forms and a world leader in advanced environmental management techniques and policies. Truly the flagship of the South African national parks, Kruger is home to an impressive number of species: 336 types of trees, 49 fish, 34 amphibians, 114 reptiles, 507 birds and 147 mammals.

I almost got weepy reading it. That’s my childhood, right there. Virtually every year, we’d head out that way. So many memories. That is the only thing I can say I truly miss about that country, nothing quite compares to it. My heart aches at the thought of it. It’s no secret that I look forward to my trips to South Africa about as much as Oreo looks forward to a visit to the vet, but if I could go to the Kruger every time, instead of having to be captive in the cities, it would be entirely different! Oh, in an ideal world.

Nostalgia has been pretty heavy handed with me today.

Anywho, I’m trying to see if I can get some sort of round the world ticket and do some other travelling along the way. I completely freaked out this morning when I realised I’ll be 26 in three years and there is still so many places I want to go, so many things I wanted to do. Got to get my act together, staff discounts wait for no demanding daughters.

Note to self: stop spending money on random things. Save! Save like you’ve never saved before.

With a little luck, eight months to go!

Music:
Every you, every me - Placebo

No comments:

Post a Comment