Friday, January 7, 2011

Frying pans, who knew!?

First week back at work vanquished successfully. Woo! And I don’t think I’m behind on anything for a change, that’s definitely a plus. Unsurprisingly, nothing has happened during this time. I did see an advanced screening of Tangled with M and A on Sunday however, very enjoyable. I think Max, the horse, is probably the best bit. A classic Disney film though, so if that’s not your cup of tea I can’t imagine you liking this much.

I finally visited the optometrist last night. According to him, I’m ‘environmentally myopic’ aka six years at uni has made me blind. That should be on the pamphlet. It was entirely expected however, for the past six months I’ve been saying I needed to get tests done. I hadn’t realised just how bad it had gotten until I was asked to read the bottom line on the test screen however…blurry shape, blurry shape, m? is not the correct answer. Who knew? Anywho, I’m getting glasses now – for use in classrooms and such. If I’m just generally doing stuff, I don’t need 'em. So it’s not too bad. I both mourn my perfect vision (and oh, what beautiful vision I used to have when I was little) and am kinda gleeful that I’m going to have glasses. I’ve always wanted those. Like all people want things they don’t have, you know what I mean.

The optometrist asked me what I was studying and made quite the amusing lol face when I said creative writing. Haha, useless degree is useless and everyone knows it. Song interlude!

What do you do with that BA in English,
What is my life going to be?
Three years of college,
And plenty of knowledge,
Have earned me this useless degree.
I can't pay the bills yet,
Cause I have no skills yet,
The world is a big, scary place! 

Ahem. He did ask me about my favourite authors though and then made a comment that I must be a Lord of the Rings fan cause he recognised my Evenstar pendant. Ten geek points to the optometrist! Glee.

As we're on the topic of uni, I've actually been considering doing a psych degree when I get back from overseas. . Only problem is that, to practice, you need to do six years so by the time I finish I will be 31. Horror. I was bouncing this off mum last night and lamenting that I hadn't thought of it earlier.
Mum: I did suggest it.
Me: Did you? I guess I wasn't interested.
Mum: You said you didn't want to solve other people's problems.
Me: I was probably too caught up in my own.
Mum: That's exactly it. You said you had enough problems of your own and you didn't need anyone elses.
Me: Well of course, at eighteen, my problems were the end of the world.
Anyway, I'm hoping to get a ton of credit if I do it through an arts stream since I've done all the arts subjects, just need the psych ones. And the PhD I want to do is still relevant to that too, so that works out nicely. But, as with all things, I'll have to wait and see if I'm still interested in it when I return. Who knows what can happen in a year, after all.

In other news, we now have a NAS at home - network attached storage, for those playing at home. This means we can hook up all our external hard drives (between us we have about 5) to this one box and then access it from anywhere. I had my doubts about this thing for quite a few reasons, one being that mum wants to create one ginormous itunes library with all our music in it, and I have enough trouble keeping mine organised as it is. But it certainly has its pros, as I discovered last night lounging in bed watching Fringe on ze laptop without worrying about cables or USBs. So in that respect it's very handy. Guess we'll see how it goes, I'll get used to it no doubt.

Anywho, I'm starting a new regular blog feature that I will hopefully manage to maintain. Every Friday I will post a top 10 list of...well, whatever. Could be something silly, could be something useful, could be anything! I'm kicking off with my top 10 favourite albums of 2010. Next post.

Music: Juicebox - The Strokes

No comments:

Post a Comment