Thursday, December 30, 2010

Everything I think I know I've read

Right here we go, obligatory end of year meme pilfered via trusty google...

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
I went to Cardiff, I completed a round trip of 26 hours of air travel for essentially 23 hours on the ground where I was going, I survived full time work and full time study – not only survived but kicked ass, thank you very much. Everyone complaining about their workloads please move to the left, I have no sympathy.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I can’t remember if I made specific resolutions…I know I wanted 2010 to matter, I felt that it was going to be important somehow. I wanted to stay open to possibilities, I wanted to not let my fear of failure and of getting hurt get in the way, and I wanted to be open to try new things. I did all of that, I think. I got a new job, I spoke at an academic conference on something I loved and found I actually enjoyed it, I travelled, I went on dates, I met new people, did new things, tried new things, and was generally happy, if stressed. All in all, I think 2010 was a good one, really. I think I did well.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I think so. I get the feeling someone did. I just can’t remember who. Oops. I do however know my cousin is expecting her third child at the moment. That counts, right?

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Unfortunately yes, I lost my maternal grandfather in October and it seems fitting that I post this today, on what would have been his 80th birthday.

5. What countries did you visit?
England, Wales, Thailand, South Africa.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Wow, I don’t really know. Magic? The world at my feet? A purpose? A publishing deal? Who knows!

7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I’m not so great with dates. First weekend of October is pretty hefty. I also keenly remember starting my "first proper job” on May 17th…but only because I count every month I’m there as a victory of perseverance and count down the days till I can leave! I know, it’s a horrible thing to say.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Speaking at an academic conference, and passing all my subjects – or rather maintaining a consistent distinction average. As an academic, I don’t think I’m doing too shabbily really.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not getting a HD average, le sigh. Still not getting published. I really need to get my act together there.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Shock, horror, no! Nothing more major than the standard ol flu.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A pair of black boots. Sherlock DVDs. Plane tickets to Melbourne for fangirling purposes.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
What a strange question. I’m going to say Roze, for being the intelligent, wonderful friend she is and remaining calm and composed during the trials and tribulations of house renovations, a law degree, work in its various forms and illness and injury. (You are a champion dear, I’m working on getting you that Pacey you want :P )

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
These are strong words and I don’t know if I really have anyone to attribute that to right at this moment. Perhaps I am too full of Christmas good will (aka chocolate and alcohol) to dwell on depressing topics at this moment. I’m tempted to say RTD, I’m sure he did something to appall and depress me at some point during the year!

14. Where did most of your money go?
Fandom, naturally. Isn’t that where it always goes? Actually I think most of my funds were squandered on plane travel this year. It’s a toss up between that and various car expenses…but let’s go with plane tickets, it’s more exotic.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Oh, so many things. I’m quite the excitable loon.

16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
If I had you by Adam Lambert. Yup, I am still in love with this song.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? Happier
Thinner or fatter? Thinner. Though all this chocolate may have changed that.
Richer or poorer? Hahahaha, much poorer. Despite the acquisition of full time employment. Isn’t life funny?

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercise and writing. I really need to get in the habit of doing both on a daily basis. Also blogging. I’ve really fallen off with that!

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Stressing over things, let other people get me down.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Uh. Bit late for that. Next year’s will be spent freezing to death, if all goes to plan. Yay!

21. How will you be spending New Year?
Hanging with my oldest friends, laughing over silly things, if history is any guide.

22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
In the words of Betty, “Falling is easy, you just fall.”

23. How many one-night stands?
Oh my dear quiz, you don’t know me at all.

24. What was your favorite TV program ?
Of the year? Sherlock, hands down. It is, without a doubt, the greatest, best, most brilliant, wonderful thing to enter my life. I also discovered and fell deeply in love with Fringe. Other happy discoveries include Mad Men, Modern Family, Walking Dead, Human Target and Going Postal, while my love of Lie To Me, Numb3rs (now cancelled *sob*) and Doctor Who continues strongly – as would my love of Merlin, no doubt, if only someone would actually be so kind as to show it on aussie tv.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t really hate people, it’s a bad habit I feel.

26. What was the best book you read?
I have shamefully not read much this year that wasn’t for uni or that I haven’t read before. But I did finally read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and thoroughly enjoyed it, so let’s go with that.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Oooooh. Hard. The National? I think I’d have to go with that, yes.

28. What did you want and get?
So many things! I can't really think of one specific thing.

29. What did you want and not get?
Uh. Perspective? Haha. No, well. I don’t know. I still don’t feel like I’m any closer to knowing what I actually want from my life (only what I don’t want) but that seems like a big thing to ask from a year. Baby steps.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
There were quite a few brilliant ones this year. Has to be Inception though, surely? I'm posting my top 10 films of the year on Tumblr, check it out here if you’re interested.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I spent my actual birthday in the company of my parents, having a lovely brunch and going shopping. For my birthday, however, there was a gig and a road trip to Palm Beach. To my utter horror, I am all of 23 now.

32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
My car not requiring so much attention, for one thing. Not having debt for another! Haha, oh the middle class aspirations.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
In general my fashion concepts still continue to vary wildly depending on my mood, I do in general still prefer the Beckett effect, though I have been prone to more shorts, skirts and dresses. Also heels, lots of lovely, lovely heels. And boots. When not in the corporate gear for work, of course. I’m considering throwing all that out in the new year anyway. Why bother? It’s not like I actually have to see clients. They know I’m a capable employee, if I want to dress like a deranged emo kid that’s escaped the local holding facility, I see no reason why that should be a problem (idealism, isn’t it wonderful?)

34. What kept you sane?
My friends, my parents, my puppy, and music. Always music.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Benedict Cumberbatch. Definitely. Yes.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Our useless election being useless. That’s more a general observation than being ‘stirred’ though.

37. Who did you miss?
My family and friends who I can’t see regularly. I’ve said it before and I will say it many, many times more – teleportation!

38. Who was the best new person you met?
I met some lovely new people both at uni and at work, I think it would have to go to the very nice girl I met at the TW conference.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Things usually happen in ways you least expect, and when it’s least convenient. You need to trust yourself to know when it’s the right thing for you, and pursue things on your own terms, and not because you think anything is expected of you. At the end of the day the only person you need to answer to is yourself, and if you’re honest with yourself , well, who cares about a little complication? It’ll all work out in the end.

40. Quote that sums up your year.
“The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things....hey....the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” - The Doctor, Vincent and the Doctor

Music: Textbook - We Are Scientists

No comments:

Post a Comment